Air fryer onions, the easiest and most delicious recipe to make in the air fryer.
The result is stunning without dirtying the kitchen.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Very few steps to prepare this recipe, and these caramelized onions cooked in an air fryer are a great addition for so many recipes.
Air Fryer Onions Ingredients
You can use the onions you like best: yellow onions, red onions, white onions, sweet onions or sweet onions vidalia.
All onions fit this recipe of sauteed onions; some may come out more caramelized than others.
Salt & black pepper
I went with the simple salt and black pepper for this recipe, but these onions are super customizable to your personal preference.
You can add the spice you like best. But I assure you that even seasoned with just oil, salt and pepper, they have a great flavor.
I used olive oil, but avocado oil is also fine.
What Kind Of Onions To Use?
How to Air Fry Onions
Clean the onion by cutting off the two ends and removing the peel.
Cut it in half and then into slices with a sharp knife.
I recommend wetting the knife blade with cold water because it reduces the typical risk of weeping from cutting the onion.
The operation can be done several times and not only before starting to cut.
In a shallow bowl put the onions, and season with oil, salt and pepper and mix well so that all the onions are covered by the oil.
Meanwhile, preheat the air fryer.
Transfer the onions to the air fryer basket, don’t worry if they overlap, don’t need to put in a single layer as the onion will shrink while cooking, cook for 10 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally during the cooking process
Store: You can store air fryer onions up to 4 days after cooking. Let them cool, cover, and refrigerate in an airtight container.
Reheat: You can reheat onions in microwave for 30 seconds.
- Make sure the seasoning and oil are perfectly distributed over the onions.
- Preheat the air fryer.
- Stir the onions while cooking to ensure even cooking.
- Air fryers can vary in temperature. Therefore, more or less time may be needed.
- Cut onions into similar sizes.
- Spray the basket of the air fryer with a little cooking spray to prevent the onions from sticking.
What goes with air fryer onions? Serving Tips
These onions are perfect topping on salads, hot dogs, hamburgers, but also added to air fryer potatoes.
You can also serve them as a easy side dish for these pork chops, perhaps along with a salad.
Variations to Try For Air Fryer Onion
Onions are a super versatile food, and with the combination of air fryers you can create so many recipes with onions.
Air fryer onion rings
A delicious recipe to make in the air fryer with onion are onion rings, which are super easy to make.
You will need more simple ingredients to make them: panko breadcrumbs or italian breadcrumbs and flour mixture for a crispy coating.
This recipe is quick and easy, and so delicious you’ll never believe they’re made in an air fryer. Even better than deep-fried onions ring!
Blooming onion in air fryer
A blooming onion is an indulgent treat that’s usually deep-fried in oil, but for a healthier version, you can make an air-fried blooming onion instead!
By using an air-fryer, you can still enjoy the crunchy and delicious flavors of a blooming onion without all the unhealthy fats.
Crispy onions petal
Another delicious recipe is onion petals, just cut the onion into petals (cut the onion into 4 parts, like onion wedges, and then separate them) you can make them crispy covered with crumbs for a super delicious snack to serve with your favorite dipping sauce!
The answer is definitely yes. The onion in the air fryer is cooked and caramelized perfectly.
Oil is added to start the browning process, but is not essential (which is great for those who want to reduce or omit oil from their cooking!) Air fry the onions for a total of 12 minutes at 350 degrees F.
Yes, onions shrink during cooking, losing about 2/3 of their volume as the water evaporates. I used an 8.3 Oz large onion and got 3.3 oz of sautéed onions, so slice more than you think you will need.
Yes, you start on high heat to soften them, then continue on lower heat so that they slowly caramelize.
You can cut them any way you like, in slices, in chunks, cut them into wedges (larger slices).
Air Fryer Onions: Easy Air Fryer Recipe
CONNECT WITH THE BELLA VITA!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Air Fryer Onions Recipe
Air fryer onions are a delicious, easy, and foolproof way to enjoy crispy and flavorful onions at home with minimal effort.
- 1 Onion ( 8.3 oz)
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Black pepper
- 1 tablespoon of Olive Oil or avocado oil
- Cut off the two ends of the onion, peel the onion, cut it in half and then slice it. The thickness of the slices should be about 1/8 inch.
- Preheat the air fryer to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Place the onions in a small bowl, add the oil and sprinkle with salt and black pepper, and mix well.
- Spread the onions in the air fryer basket.
- Air fry the onions for a total of 8 minutes at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) and 3 minutes at 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- Stir the onions during cooking occasionally with a wooden spoon.
- For still crispy onion slices, extend the air frying time.
All the tricks for cutting onion without crying
- Cold onion: Put the onion in the refrigerator at least an hour beforehand.
- Soaking onion: Soaking the onion, after peeling and splitting it in 2, serves to denature the irritant enzyme. Also good for sweetening the flavor of the onion.
- Wet knife blade: Wet the knife blade with cold water; you can wet the blade several times.
- Use a steam source: Bringing a jug of hot water close to the cutting board for work can reduce tearing.
- Eat a piece of bread: Grandmother's remedy of slowly chewing a piece of bread while cutting the onion.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 144Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 530mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 1g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.