Air fryer onions are the easiest and most delicious recipe to make in the air fryer.
The result is stunning without dirtying the kitchen.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
There are very few steps to prepare this recipe, and these caramelized onions cooked in an air fryer are a great addition to many recipes.
Air Fryer Onions Ingredients
You can use the onions you like best: yellow onions, red onions, white onions, sweet onions, or sweet onions Vidalia.
All onions fit this recipe of sauteed onions; some may come out more caramelized than others.
Salt & black pepper
I chose the simple salt and black pepper for this recipe, but these onions are customizable.
You can add the spice you like best. But I assure you that even seasoned with just oil, salt, and pepper, they have a great flavor.
I used olive oil, but avocado oil is also fine.
What Kind Of Onions To Use?
How to Air Fry Onions
Clean the onion by cutting off the two ends and removing the peel.
Cut it in half and then into slices with a sharp knife.
I recommend wetting the knife blade with cold water because it reduces the typical risk of weeping from cutting the onion.
The operation can be done several times and not only before starting to cut.
In a shallow bowl, put the onions, season with oil, salt, and pepper, and mix well so that the oil covers all the onions.
Meanwhile, preheat the air fryer.
Transfer the onions to the air fryer basket. Don’t worry if they overlap; you don’t need a single layer, as the onion will shrink while cooking. Cook for 10 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally during the cooking process.
Store: You can store air fryer onions for up to 4 days after cooking. Let them cool, cover, and refrigerate in an airtight container.
Reheat: You can reheat onions in the microwave for 30 seconds.
- Make sure the seasoning and oil are perfectly distributed over the onions.
- Preheat the air fryer.
- Stir the onions while cooking to ensure even cooking.
- Air fryers can vary in temperature. Therefore, more or less time may be needed.
- Cut onions into similar sizes.
- Spray the air fryer basket with a little cooking spray to prevent the onions from sticking.
What goes with air fryer onions? Serving Tips
Or serve them as an easy side dish for these pork chops, perhaps along with a salad.
Variations to Try For Air Fryer Onion
Onions are a super versatile food, and with the combination of air fryers, you can create so many recipes with onions.
A delicious recipe to make in the air fryer with onion is onion rings, which are super easy to make.
You will need simpler ingredients for a crispy coating: panko breadcrumbs or Italian breadcrumbs and flour mixture.
This recipe is quick, easy, and so delicious you’ll never believe they’re made in an air fryer. It’s even better than a deep-fried onion ring!
A blooming onion is an indulgent treat that’s usually deep-fried in oil, but for a healthier version, you can make an air-fried blooming onion instead!
Using an air-fryer, you can still enjoy the crunchy and delicious flavors of a blooming onion without all the unhealthy fats.
Crispy onions petal
Another delicious recipe is onion petals. Cut the onion into petals (cut it into four parts, like onion wedges, and then separate them).
You can make them crispy and covered with crumbs for a delicious snack with your favorite dipping sauce!
The answer is definitely yes. The onion in the air fryer is cooked and caramelized perfectly.
Oil is added to start the browning process but is not essential (which is excellent for those who want to reduce or omit oil from their cooking!) Air fry the onions for 12 minutes at 350 degrees F.
Yes, onions shrink during cooking, losing about 2/3 of their volume as the water evaporates. I used an 8.3 Oz large onion and got 3.3 oz of sautéed onions, so slice more than you think you will need.
Yes, you start on high heat to soften them, then continue on lower heat so that they slowly caramelize.
You can cut them any way you like: in slices, chunks, and wedges (larger slices).
Air Fryer Onions: Easy Air Fryer Recipe
CONNECT WITH THE BELLA VITA!
Be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post!
- 1 Onion ( 8.3 oz)
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Black pepper
- 1 tablespoon of Olive Oil or avocado oil
- Cut off the two ends of the onion, peel the onion, cut it in half, and then slice it. The thickness of the slices should be about 1/8 inch.
- Preheat the air fryer to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Place the onions in a small bowl, add the oil sprinkle with salt and black pepper, and mix well.
- Spread the onions in the air fryer basket.
- Air fry the onions for a total of 8 minutes at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Add 3 minutes at 350 degrees F (180 degrees C), for golden brown onions.
- Stir the onions occasionally with a wooden spoon while cooking.
- For crispy onion slices, extend the air frying time.
All the tricks for cutting onion without crying
- Cold onion: Put the onion in the refrigerator at least an hour beforehand.
- Soaking onion: Soaking the onion, after peeling and splitting it in 2, serves to denature the irritant enzyme. Also good for sweetening the flavor of the onion.
- Wet knife blade: Wet the knife blade with cold water; you can wet the blade several times.
- Use a steam source: Bringing a jug of hot water close to the cutting board for work can reduce tearing.
- Eat a piece of bread: Grandmother's remedy of slowly chewing a piece of bread while cutting the onion.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 144Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 530mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 1g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.