Air fryer onion rings, a crispy breadcrumb coating with a sweet and melting onion filling – the perfect party starter.
This air fryer recipe will give you perfectly golden and crunchy onion rings without deep frying.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Why You Will Love These Homemade Onion Rings
Easy recipe: It takes less than 10 minutes to prepare them and another 10 minutes to cook them in the air fryer.
Easy and fast!
They are super crispy: Air fryer onion rings are crisp and crunchy on the outside, just like traditional ones, but with less guilt!
Healthier than traditional onion rings: Air fryer onion rings are much healthier than traditional deep-fried ones because they are vegan and cooked with very little oil!
Fun to make: Making homemade onion rings in the air fryer can be fun with family or friends.
Air Fryer Onion Rings Recipe Ingredients
These are the main ingredients you need for this onion ring recipe.
Please scroll down to our printable recipe card for the step-by-step directions and measurements.
Onions: Sweet white onions like Vidalia or Walla Walla work great.
I recommend choosing a large onion.
White flour: I use all-purpose flour. If you want to make a gluten-free batter, you can use rice flour or almond flour.
Sparkling water: The sparkling water will ensure your batter has flawless crispness.
I use cold sparkling water, but we can replace water with light beer or an ale to make it tastier.
Paprika: You can choose the spices you prefer.
You can also use garlic powder and onion powder or cayenne pepper to make it spicy.
Salt & Black Pepper: To taste.
Parsley: I used fresh ones to give a touch of freshness.
Olive oil or avocado oil: You can use an oil spray, but a kitchen brush is also fine.
The oil helps give your onion rings a perfect golden browning.
Regular breadcrumbs or panko bread crumbs will make the onion rings super crispy.
How to Make Onion Rings In The Air Fryer
Carefully peel the onions and cut widthwise slices about half an inch thick.
Then, divide the rings of each slice, taking care not to break them.
Prepare the batter with the flour, sparkling water, and spices in a shallow bowl.
Put the breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, and parsley in the second bowl and mix well.
Dip the onion rings first in the batter, using a fork or kitchen tongs, and then in the breadcrumb mixture.
Be sure to cover the onion well with the breadcrumbs.
Arrange the rings in a single layer on the air fryer basket.
Spray lightly with oil.
Cook in the air fryer for 10 minutes until golden brown, shaking halfway through cooking.
Tips for Making The Best Air Fryer Onion Rings
- One method my grandmother taught me to prevent crying when cutting onions is to chill the onion. You can put it in the refrigerator a minimum of one hour beforehand or 15 minutes in the freezer before cutting it.
- The batter for the onion rings should not be too runny but rather creamy and smooth.
- Preheat your air fryer before cooking.
- Put the smaller rings inside the big ones when you cook them. That way, you can cook more at a time.
- If you have to prepare many of them, do them in small batches; don’t overcrowd the basket.
- Always check the cooking. I remind you that different brands of air fryers can cook differently very often.
How To Serve Homemade Air Fryer Onion Rings
Serve these delicious onion rings with your favorite dipping sauce – jalapeno mayo, pink sauce, or ranch dressing.
They also make a perfect side dish.
Storing and Reheating
If you have leftover onion rings to store, let them cool completely, store them in an airtight container or zip-top bag, and refrigerate for up to 3-4 days.
You can also freeze cooked onion rings for 2-3 months. Place rings in a single layer on a sheet pan and freeze.
Once frozen, transfer to a freezer bag.
To reheat refrigerated onion rings, use an air fryer or regular oven.
Air fry at 400°F for 4-5 minutes, flipping halfway. Oven bake at 425°F for 6-8 minutes.
To reheat frozen onion rings, do not thaw first.
Air fry frozen rings at 400°F for 6-8 minutes, flipping halfway. Oven bake at 450°F for 10-12 minutes.
Which Onions are Best for Making Onion Rings?
I like to use sweet onions like the Vidalia onion, but those are the best if Walla Walla is available!
You can also use yellow, white, or even red onions.
How thick to slice Onion Rings?
To ensure even cooking, the onion should be about half an inch thick in slices.
Can You Freeze Onion Rings?
I recommend freezing them cooked because onions tend to release water when raw.
After they have cooled thoroughly, please place them in a baking dish, being careful not to let them touch, leave them in the dish a few hours, and then transfer them to a freezer bag.
You can store the onion rings for up to eight weeks. Heat them from frozen in the air fryer for 8 minutes at 350° F to reheat them.
Crunchy Onion Rings In Air fryer
CONNECT WITH THE BELLA VITA!
Be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post!
- 1 Large onion
- 1 Cup of flour
- 3/4 Cup sparkling water
- Black pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon paprika
- 1 Cup breadcrumbs
- Dried parsley
- Strip the onions of their outermost states and cut them into at least half an inch thick rounds.
- Pull the rings apart from each other by applying gentle pressure while avoiding breaking them.
- Next, prepare the batter. Put the flour, paprika, and black pepper in a small bowl and mix well.
Pour cold sparkling water in a trickle, and with a whisk, mix well until a smooth batter forms.
- In a second bowl, pour the breadcrumbs and season with salt, pepper, and dried parsley.
- Dip the rings first in the batter, helping with tongs or a fork, then in the breadcrumb mixture. Make sure to cover the entire onion ring with the breadcrumbs.
- Continue in this way until all the rings are finished.
- Preheat the air fryer to 350°F for 2 minutes. Using some spray oil or a kitchen brush, spray or brush the base of the air fryer basket, and place the onion rings in a single layer, being careful not to overlap them.
- Cook in the air fryer at 370°F (190°C) for 10 minutes or until your preferred golden brown.
- Serve this crunchy onion rings hot with a sprinkle of salt and your favorite sauce.
- Instead of paprika you can add other spices of your choice.
- Use a cooking spray to better spread the oil.
- If you have to prepare a lot of them do them in small batches
- Always check the cooking, I remind you that very often different brands of air fryer can cook differently.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 261Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 6mgCarbohydrates: 55gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 8g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.
More Easy Air Fryer Recipes:
Air fryer Brussel Sprouts, are the perfect side dish because they’re quick, easy, and delicious.
Air Fryer Corn On The Cob, is the best and easiest way to prepare corn. It comes out perfectly cooked every time.
Breaded Mushrooms in the air fryer, are incredibly crunchy and satisfying.
Air fryer Potato Wedges Recipe, incredibly versatile and can be seasoned with whatever spices you like.