Air fryer onion rings, a crispy breadcrumb coating with a sweet and melting onion filling, a perfect party starter.
I love onion.
It is a special vegetable that is also very good for you.
Today we make it the queen with a mouthwatering and really good dish: onion rings in the air fryer.
They are ideal to serve during an aperitif, to accompany grilled meat dishes and as appetizers during an evening with friends.
Air Fryer Onion Rings Recipe Ingredients
These are the main ingredients you need for this onion rings recipe.
For the step-by-step directions and measurements, scroll down to our printable recipe card.
- Onion – White onion is fine, for this recipe I recommend choosing a large onion.
- White flour – All purpose flour is fine, if you want to make a gluten-free batter, you can use rice flour.
- Sparkling water – The sparkling water will ensure your batter has a flawless crispness.
- Paprika – You can choose the spices you prefer.
- Salt & Black Pepper
- Olive oil – You can use an oil spray, but a kitchen brush is also fine. The oil helps give your onion rings a perfect golden browning.
Trick to Not Cry When You Cut the Onion
Cool the onion.
A useful remedy is to keep the onion in the refrigerator or freezer before cutting it.
Clearly the timing is different since no more than 15 minutes in the freezer and a minimum of one hour in the refrigerator will be enough to avoid crying.
How to Make Onion Rings In The Air Fryer
Prepare the onion: To prepare the onion rings, peel carefully the onions and cut widthwise slices of onion about half an inch thick.
Now divide the rings of each slice, being careful not to break them.
Most important is to remove that transparent veil that holds the onion layers together. It is precisely that which burns first and is therefore likely to make your rings bitter.
Make the batter: Prepare the batter with the flour, sparkling water and spices in a bowl.
The batter for the onion rings should not be too runny, but rather creamy and smooth.
In another bowl put the breadcrumbs, salt, pepper and parsley and mix well.
Batter the onions: Pass the onion rings first through the batter with the help of a fork or kitchen tongs, and then through the crumbs. Make sure to cover the onion well with the breadcrumbs.
Cook the onion: Onion rings should be cooked in the air fryer for about 10 minutes until fully golden.
Onion rings turn out crispy on the outside and soft on the inside – a real treat.
About the batter: I use cold sparkling water, but to make it tastier we can replace water with beer.
Which Onions are Best for making Onion Rings?
I like to use sweet onions like Vidalias, but if Walla Wallas are available, those are the best!
How thick to slice Onion Rings?
Onion slices should be about half an inch thick to ensure even cooking.
Can You Freeze Onion Rings?
I recommend freezing them cooked, because onions tend to release water when raw.
After they have cooled thoroughly, place them in a baking dish, being careful or not to let them touch, leave them a few hours in the dish and then tresfer them to a freezer bag.
You can store the onion rings for up to eight weeks. To reheat them, heat them from frozen in the air fryer for 8 minutes at a 350° F.
What to Serve with Air Fryer Onion Rings?
Serve these delicious onion rings with your favorite sauce – mayonnaise or pink sauce go great with these onion rings.
If you want to serve the rings as a side dish instead, I love to serve them with these chicken cutlets.
Why You Will Definitely Love These Homemade Onion Rings
They are so easy to prepare: It takes less than 10 minutes to prepare them and another 10 minutes to cook them in the air fryer.
Perfect for when you have some surprise guests and don’t know what to offer with the appetizer.
They are super crispy: Thanks to the batter and breadcrumbs, the result is a super crispy and delicious breadcrumbs.
More Air Fryer Recipes:
CONNECT WITH THE BELLA VITA!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Air Fryer Onion Rings are super crispy and crunchy, easy-to-make, and so much healthier for you than deep-fried!
- 1 Large onion
- 1 Cup of flour
- 3/4 Cup sparkling water
- Black pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon paprika
- 1 Cup breadcrumbs
- Dried parsley
- Strip the onions of their outermost states and cut them into rounds at least half an inch thick.
- Pull the rings apart from each other by applying gentle pressure while avoiding breaking them.
- Next prepare the batter. In a bowl put the flour, paprika, black pepper and mix well.
Pour cold sparkling water in a trickle and with a whisk mix well until a smooth batter forms.
- In another bowl, pour the breadcrumbs and season with salt, pepper and dried parsley.
- Dip the rings first in the batter, helping with tongs or a fork, then in breadcrumbs. Make sure to cover the entire onion ring with the breadcrumbs. Continue in this way until all the rings are finished.
- Preheat the air fryer to 350°F for 2 minutes. Using some spray oil, or a kitchen brush, spray or brush the base of the air fryer basket, and place the onion rings, being careful not to overlap them.
- Cook in the air fryer at 370°F (190°C) for 10 minutes or until your preferred golden brown.
- Serve hot with a sprinkle of salt and your favorite sauce.
Instead of paprika you can add other spices of your choice.
They will still be great! If you do not like this ingredient, however, you can eliminate it directly.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 261Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 6mgCarbohydrates: 55gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 8g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.