Spinach pie, a crispy, golden shell with a stringy filling.
Just FEW INGREDIENTS, very fast, ready in 20 minutes: spinach pie, tasty puff pastry envelopes filled with spinach, mozzarella and feta cheese.
Perfect for a fancy dinner, an aperitif, an appetizer buffet.
With just one roll you can obtain many triangles of puff pastry: the more squares you cut out, the more bundles you will obtain.
The advice is not to make them very small in order to avoid not being able to close the edges of each triangle well, and therefore, risking that the filling comes out during cooking.
Why I Love These this Spinach Pie
Easy & quick to prepare: just a few ingredients to prepare them and they are easy and quick.
You can prepare them in advance: you can prepare them 3 hours in advance for the same day and put them in the fridge covered with a cloth.
Or prepare them much earlier and freeze them for about 2 months.
Family friendly: this recipe is perfect for an aperitif with friends, but also for children’s snacks.
What Goes In This Spinach Pie?
Puff pastry: excellent puff pastry prepared at home, simple to make, only requires a little time and patience, but the taste really super, but if you want you can use the frozen one.
I used the frozen one for this recipe.
Spinach: I love spinach, and with puff pastry they are a winning combination, this recipe is a great way to get kids to eat spinach too.
Feta & mozzarella: this cheese gives the recipe that perfect salty touch, while the mozzarella gives the sweetness and stringiness.
Egg: will be used to give that beautiful golden color to our puff pastry.
How To Make This Pie
First we prepare the filling. I used fresh spinach.
In a pan with a little oil, brown an onion, add the spinach and let it wilt.
In the meantime, cut the mozzarella and feta into cubes.
Let the spinach cool a bit and then I mixed the spinach with the cheese.
Unroll the puff pastry and divide it into 8 portions.
Fill half of the square of puff pastry with the filling and then close it in the shape of a triangle, using a fork to help close the edges well so that the filling does not come out during cooking.
Cook the pie in the oven and serve.
Is puff pastry the same as phyllo dough?
No, the main difference is the fact that phyllo dough does not have butter inside, but oil, therefore being lighter.
Moreover, thanks to the extremely thin layers placed one upon the other, its cooking is extremely rapid.
Can I use filo instead of puff pastry?
Yes if you want super crispy triangles and prepared with a faster cooking time.
Can you freeze appetizers made with puff pastry?
Yes, you can freeze puff pastry.
Puff pastry can be frozen for about 3 months.
To freeze puff pastry, wrap the pastry in several layers of plastic wrap or baking paper before placing it in the freezer.
Try this delicious and simple spinach pie that you or anyone can make at home within minutes!
Tasty spinach pies for everyone.
More appetizers recipes:
- Air Fryer Potstickers (Dumplings) Homemade or Frozen!
- Halloween Snack Recipes That Are Easy And Spooky
- Air Fryer Frozen Sweet Potato Fries: Easy Recipe
- Air Fryer Onion Rings Recipe: Homemade And Super Crispy
Spinach Pie: Perfect As An Appetizers Or A Quick Dinner
Serve this pie with some Homemade Dips.
A super easy to prepare spinach, feta and mozzarella pie!
- 1 Sheet frozen puff pastry thawed
- 2 Cups fresh chopped spinach
- 1 Onion
- 1/2 Cup crumbled feta, about 2 ounces
- 1/2 Cup mozzarella, about 2 ounces
- 1 Egg
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Let's start by preparing the filling.
- Wash and chop spinach leaves. Slice the onion finely, and set aside.
- In a high-sided skillet, with a tablespoon of olive oil, brown the onion.
- When the onion is golden brown add the spinach, salt a little only because we are going to use the feta for the filling.
- Let the spinach wilt and when it is cooked, place it in a bowl and let it cool.
- Meanwhile, cut the mozzarella and feta into cubes.
- When the spinach has cooled, add it to the cheese and mix everything together.
- Preheat the oven to 200° C (400 F).
- Roll out the puff pastry on a flat surface, and divide the puff pastry into 8 squares.
- Use a fork to pierce the puff pastry.
- Fill each square of puff pastry, about one teaspoon of filling, only in one half of the puff pastry.
- Fold the puff pastry forming triangles, to close tightly by pressing the edge with a fork to seal.
- In a small bowl beat the egg, add a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Brush the surface of the puff pastry with the egg and bake in a preheated oven at 200° C for 20 minutes. If necessary, extend the cooking time by a few minutes until the dough is uniformly golden and puffy.
- The pie is ready!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 108Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 38mgSodium: 228mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 6g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.
Store in the refrigerator for 1-2 days.
Store them in the fridge in an airtight container, and then reheat them 10 minutes in the preheated oven.
I do not recommend reheating them in the microwave.