Roast garlic in an air fryer is a game changer!
The oven’s classic method of roasting garlic can take up to an hour, but with an air fryer you can enjoy roasted garlic in as little as 20 minutes.
You’ll end up with soft, caramelized garlic cloves that are perfect for spreading on bread, adding to pasta dishes, or even using as a focaccia topping.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Why You Will Love Roast Garlic in Air fryer
There are so many reasons to love air fryer roasted garlic!
These are the reasons why I love it:
Convenience: Roasting garlic in an air fryer is a quick and hassle-free process.
Time-saving: The air fryer does the job in a fraction of the time, taking less time compared to the traditional oven.
Delicious: Roasting garlic brings out its natural sweetness and adds a depth of flavor to any dish.
Great for meal prepping: You can roast 4/5 cloves at once, so in 20 minutes I have roast garlic for the whole week.
What You Need To Make These Air Fryer Roasted Garlic
Whole head of garlic: Choose fresh, firm bulbs with tight cloves and intact skin.
No sprouting or mold! Avoid bulbs that have started to sprout, as this indicates that they are old.
Extra virgin olive oil: For drizzling over the garlic, helps to roast the garlic to perfection, bringing out its natural sweetness.
You could use avocado oil or grapeseed oil, but olive oil gives the best flavor.
Kosher salt and black pepper: For seasoning. Use coarse sea salt and freshly cracked pepper.
Thyme (optional): Fresh thyme adds a lovely aroma.
Instructions Step by Step Air fryer
Preheat your air fryer to 375°F. Meanwhile cut 1⁄4 to 1⁄2 inch off the top of the garlic head, with a sharp knife, to expose the cloves.
Place the garlic in the center of a piece of foil.
Season the top of the garlic bulb with olive oil, salt, black pepper, and thyme.
Wrap the garlic head tightly in foil.
Place in the air fryer basket and cook for 15 minutes with the foil closed.
Let the garlic cook with the foil open for another 4/5 minutes until it is golden brown. This helps to caramelize it.
Remove the garlic from the air fryer and let it cool at room temperature for a few minutes.
Once the garlic has cooled, gently squeeze the cloves out of the skin.
Can I roast garlic in the air fryer without foil?
Yes, you can roast garlic in an air fryer without foil.
Simply season the garlic and place it directly in the air fryer basket.
However, the garlic may dry out a little more without the foil, so keep an eye on it and adjust the cooking time as needed.
Another way to cook roasted garlic in the air fryer is to use a parchment paper packet, but be careful that it does not touch the heating element.
Difference Between the Oven and Air Fryer
The air fry method is faster, about 20 minutes versus 40-60 minutes in the oven, so you also use less energy.
Another bonus is that the air fryer does not tend to heat up the whole kitchen compared to the oven, so it is also perfect for hot days.
- Use fresh garlic for the best flavor.
- Cut the stem end just enough to expose the cloves – don’t over trim.
- Don’t skimp on the olive oil. It helps bring out the garlic’s flavor.
- Be patient and let the garlic cool before handling. It’s hot!
I love experimenting with different spices, here are some delicious combinations I have tried:
For a Mediterranean flavor: I just add some dried oregano or rosemary and drizzle with balsamic glaze after roasting.
Spicy garlic: If you would like to add some heat, just add to the cloves a pinch of red pepper flakes before roasting.
Asian twist: Use sesame oil and 5-spice powder.
Ways to Use Roasted Garlic
Roasted garlic can be used in so many different ways:
- Add roasted garlic to softened butter and parsley, to make an amazing garlic butter.
- Just spread on a slice of crusty bread for a deliciously garlicky snack or use to make garlic bread.
- Toss roasted garlic with pasta, like broccoli pasta, cherry tomato spaghetti or cauliflower pasta.
- Add roasted garlic to hummus or any other dip for extra flavor.
- Mix roasted garlic cloves into mashed potatoes.
- Puree roasted garlic with vinegar and oil for a flavorful salad dressing.
How To Store Air Fryer Garlic
Fridge: Store leftover roasted garlic cloves in an airtight container or glass jar submerged in olive oil for up to 1 week. The oil prevents browning.
Freezer: Freeze individual garlic cloves in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet before transferring to a ziplock bag, or crush them and with oil make single portions in an ice cube tray.
You can store them in freeze for 2-3 months.
Can you roast garlic without oil?
Yes, you can roast garlic without oil, but it will not be as flavorful or crispy.
Can you eat the skin of roasted garlic?
No, the skin of roasted garlic is tough and inedible. Gently squeeze the cloves out of the skin before eating.
Does roasting kill the health benefits of garlic?
No, the beneficial components are still present after roasting. It does not reduce the immune-boosting effects.
Does Roasting Garlic Make It Less Strong?
Yes! Roasting softens the strong flavors and instead enhances the natural sweetness. Garlic gets a very mellow flavor.
Air Fryer Roasted Garlic: A Delicious Recipe for Garlic Lovers!
CONNECT WITH THE BELLA VITA!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Discover the easiest way to roast garlic in an air fryer with this simple recipe. Get that delicious roasted garlic flavor in no time!
- 2 whole garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon Olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- Thyme (optional)
- 1. Preheat the air fryer to 375°F (190°C).
- 2. Cut off the top part of the garlic head to expose the cloves.
- 3. Drizzle olive oil over the exposed cloves.
- 4. Sprinkle salt and black pepper. Add thyme.
- 5. Place the garlic head in the air fryer basket wrapped in a piece of tin foil.
- 6. Cook for 15 minutes, with the foil closed.
- Air fry for another 4 to 5 minutes with the foil open so it can get caramelized
- 7. Allow to cool before sliding out the garlic of their shells.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 28Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 158mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 0g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.
Remember these important safety tips when using your air fryer:
- Place your air fryer on a stable and heat-resistant surface.
- Never leave your air fryer unattended while it is in use.
- Do not overcrowd the air fryer basket, and be careful that the foil packet doesn’t touch the heating element.
- Use oven mitts or tongs to remove hot garlic from the air fryer.
Plus if you use the air fryer as often as I do this air fryer cooking times chart is perfect to hang in your kitchens.