Cabbage stir fry with garlic, ginger and soy sauce – an Asian inspired dish that I love so much.
This vegetable stir fry is a side dish that is easy and quick to prepare, but above all, it is very tasty!
The addition of ginger and soy sauce gives to this vegetable a slightly spicy flavor.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
How To Select Cabbage?
Touch the outside of the cabbage and make sure it is firm to the touch, this indicates that it is fresh and will have a better texture when cooked.
Avoid any cabbages that feel light or have soft spots, as these are signs of decay.
Cabagge: The main ingredient in this dish.
Regular cabbage is perfect. Other types of cabbage you can use for this recipe are Napa cabbage, purple cabbage and savoy cabbage.
Fresh garlic: It gives a powerful, pungent flavor to the dish.
Garlic should never be missing in stir fried dishes.
Fresh ginger: Gives the dish a unique flavor with a spicy hint.
Soy Sauce: The base sauce for this dish.
Olive oil: You can use olive oil or vegetable oil such as avocado oil or sesame oil.
Salt and black pepper: To taste.
How to Cut Cabbage for Stir Fry
Let’s start by removing all the external leaves from the cabbage, then pass it under running water in order to remove any dirt that may be present on the outside.
Then remove the stem and divide in two.
From each half, completely remove the core by incising the cabbage.
The next step is to cut the cabbage in half again, so as to make four parts.
Cut each part into strips and place them in a bowl as they are cut.
The width of the strips depends on the use we are going to make of the cabbage: if we are going to prepare it stir fry, we will need very thin strips, whereas if we want to prepare a soup, we will need thicker strips.
How To Stir Fry Cabbage
The first step is to slice the cabbage into thin pieces.
Start by heating the oil in a large skillet. When the oil is hot add the chopped cloves garlic and ginger, and cook for a couple of minutes.
At this point add the cabbage, 2 tablespoons of soy sauce, and cook over medium heat.
When the cabbage has wilted slightly, add the remaining soy sauce and stir until the cabbage is coated with the sauce.
Turn up the heat to medium-high heat and saute for a few minutes, so that the cabbage takes on flavor and is slightly “caramelized” with the soy sauce.
Add black pepper and a pinch of salt in needed.
Tips For The Perfect Stir-Fried Cabbage
- Cut the cabbage into thin, uniform pieces.
This will ensure that it is cooked evenly and quickly,
- Use an oil with a high smoke point, such as olive or avocado oil.
- Do not overfill the pan.
If the pan is too crowded, the vegetables will steam and will not have the desired sauté consistency.
What To Serve With Cabbage Stir Fry
To make sautéed cabbage a complete and satisfying meal, there are many pairing options.
If you want to serve it as a main dish serve it with white rice, brown rice, ramen noodles or even cauliflower rice can be a tasty and healthy addition.
- For a more substantial meal, chicken pieces, pork or ground beef are all good options that can be easily incorporated into the cabbage stir-fry.
- If you’re looking for a plant-based protein option, try adding tofu or tempeh to your stir fry.
- Another way to vary things up is to experiment with different vegetables.
Red bell peppers, carrots, and broccoli work with cabbage.
- If you want to put an extra twist on stir-fry, try experimenting with different stir-fry sauces.
- To add some crunch, try topping sautéed cabbage with sesame seeds or sliced green onions.
Absolutely! While Napa cabbage is the traditional choice for stir fries, you can experiment with other varieties like green or red cabbage.
While you can prep some of the ingredients ahead of time, it’s best to cook the stir fry just before serving.
The vegetables may become too soggy if left to sit for too long.
Steaming or stir-frying it is the best cooking process as it preserves the nutrients while still cooking the cabbage thoroughly.
Both the green and white parts of the cabbage are edible and can be used in a stir-fry.
The white part of the cabbage is slightly sweeter than the green parts and can add a nice balance of flavors to the dish.
Additionally, the white part is packed with nutrients.
No. Research suggests that stir-frying cabbage for a short period of time, like in this recipe, can help preserve much of its nutritional value
you should definitely wash your cabbage before frying it.
Whether you’re using green cabbage, Napa cabbage, or any other variety, it’s always a good idea to rinse it thoroughly under cold running water.
Will help remove any dirt or debris that might be stuck on the leaves.
If you prefer your cabbage to have some crunch, you’ll want to cook it for less time, around 5-7 minutes.
If you like it to be softer, cook it for closer to 10 minutes.
One reason why your fried cabbage may taste bitter is that you’re not cooking it properly.
Overcooking cabbage can cause it to release a compound called glucosinolate, which gives it a bitter taste.
Super Easy Cabbage Stir Fry Recipe
Check out these recipes too:
- Chinese Dumplings – Super Easy Recipe You’ll Want To Make Right Now
- Spring Rolls! Authentic Vegetarian Thai Spring Rolls Recipe You’ll Love
- Rice Porridge Recipe With Flavorful Pork Meatballs That You’ll Want To Try
- Asian Recipes: The Best Recipes You Have Been Looking For
- Hibachi Steak
- 1 Tablespoon of olive oil
- 3 Garlic gloves
- A piece of ginger
- Half White Cabbage
- 4 Tablespoons of soy sauce
- Salt & Black pepper
- Wash the cabbage, place it on a cutting board and using a sharp knife, cut it into small strips. (Below I I explain how to cut it)
- After cutting up the gabbage, finely chop the garlic and ginger.
- In a high-sided skillet, add the olive oil.
As soon as it is hot, add the chopped garlic and ginger.
- Let the garlic and ginger sauté for about 3 minutes over medium heat.
- At this point, add the cabbage, two tablespoons of soy sauce, a pinch of salt and black pepper, and cook over medium heat until softened. (About 5/7 minutes)
- When the cabbage is soft, or cooked to your taste, add the remaining two tablespoons of soy sauce.
- Turn up the heat and saute for a few minutes, so that the cabbage takes on flavor and is slightly "caramelized" with the soy sauce.
Our cabbage stir fry is ready
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 100Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 2047mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 4g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.
Cabbage Stir Fry Storage
First, let the stir fry cool down to room temperature before transferring it to an airtight container.
In the fridge: Cabbage can be stored in the refrigerator, in the vegetable compartment, for 5-6 days.
In the freezer: Leftovers can be frozen for up to three months.
Make sure to store them in an airtight container and reheat thoroughly before serving.