This lentil soup recipe is delicious, and we’re sure you’ll love making it on cold winter days.
The dish I am sharing with you today is a nutritious, tasty and very easy to make recipe.
Among the legume soups, lentil soup is my favorite. It is energetic and rich in protein, alone or with the addition, I simply love it.
In addition, lentils are a great source of benefits, we can say that it is a super and complete dish.
Lentils & Its Many Benefits
Below are some reasons to remember to eat lentils more often.
- They are a source of vegetable protein.
- Lentils are a source of prebiotic fiber.
- They are the best protein for the planet.
- They are a source of iron.
- Lentils are cheap.
- They are available all year round.
- They are very versatile in cooking.
- Lentils are satiating and nutritious.
- Everyone likes them, children and adults alike!
Thanks to the many vitamins they contain and their nutritional principles, lentils are often called “the poor man’s meat”.
Rich in vegetable proteins, lentils also contain many carbohydrates, many fibers, many vitamins, in particular A, B1, B2, C, PP, mineral salts such as calcium, potassium and iron and very few fats.
For this reason lentils are considered a valid alternative to a second course based on meat, fish, eggs or cheese.
The Health Benefits of Lentils
- They lower cholesterol and blood pressure.
- An aid against diabetes.
- Also excellent during pregnancy or breastfeeding.
- Help in weight control.
- Able to increase energy tone.
- Improves colon health.
- They have antioxidant properties.
- They are easily digestible.
- Suitable for celiacs.
- Help those suffering from anemia.
Easy Lentil Soup Recipe
- Focaccia Recipe Easy Authentic with Olives, Tomatoes & Rosemary!
- 20 Homemade Bread Recipes You Need To Be Baking
- 15 Genuine Italian Soups That’ll Warm You Up
Lentil soup is a simple and traditional recipe, that will give you joy on cold days.
- 250g Of dried lentils
- 1 Large onion
- 1 Large carrot
- 2 Red tomatoes, or a can of tomatoes
- Vegetable broth as needed (about 500ml)
- 3 tbsp Of extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- A few bay leaves
- Soak the lentils in cold or slightly warm water according to the times indicated on the package. Soaking time varies from lentil to lentil, it will serve to make the skin of the lentils softer and more digestible.
- Rinse the lentils and drain.
- In a high-sided pot, sauté the onion and carrots.
When the onion and carrot are golden brown add the diced tomato and 2 basil leaves, which will give the dish an excellent aroma.
- Cook for about 3 minutes and at this point add the drained lentils.
- Cook for a couple of minutes and add the broth.
- Continue cooking with the lid on, in case the lentil soup gets too dry, add more broth.
- Once the lentils are cooked, add salt and pepper to the soup, stir and serve hot with a drizzle of olive oil.
- Our delicious soup is ready, serve it with garlic bread or croutons. Alternatively you can add some pasta or rice.
To obtain a creamier lentil soup, remove a few ladles of lentils from the pot and purée them with an immersion blender, then add them to the remaining soup.
Variants & Alternatives
If you like strong flavors you can add a pinch of Chili Powder, Turmeric or Ginger to the Lentil Soup.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 204Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 379mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 8gSugar: 6gProtein: 7g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.
How To Store Lentil Soup
Leftover lentil soup can be stored in an airtight container and kept in the refrigerator for up to one day.
If you have used only fresh ingredients, you can also freeze it.
How To Choose Lentils
Even though there are many canned lentils on sale that are ready to be eaten, the advice is always to prefer the dried product, which is much richer in good properties
Lentils should be chosen according to the final recipe: for this soup recipe the best ones are the red or yellow ones.
I used red lentils for this delicious recipe.
NB: Lentils should be stored in a cool, dry place in glass containers or in their packaging bag for up to one year.
Interesting Facts About Lentils
In Italy we have the tradition of eating lentils on New Year’s Eve, as a wish for wealth, and since I was born it is a tradition that accompanies me every year.
The tradition of eating lentils on New Year’s Eve as a wish for prosperity derives from a tradition of ancient Rome, during which at the beginning of the new year it was customary to give a leather bag to be tied to the belt that contained lentils, considered a real treasure for those who did not have enough money to buy meat and thus ensuring the less wealthy a reserve of food important and valuable during the cold winter.