A quick and delicious pasta with potatoes that the whole family will really love, especially when you don’t have time to cook.
Creamy pasta with potatoes & bacon is cheap and has a few nutritious products.
Pasta and potatoes is a traditional Italian dish, belonging to the inventive food region of Southern Italy.
As I live in Sicily, I find myself making this quite often for lunch!
It’s quick to make, contains only a handful of ingredients, and every single member of my family always loves it.
Ingredients Needed For This Pasta With Potatoes
These are the main ingredients you need for this recipe.
For the step-by-step directions and measurements, scroll down to our printable recipe card.
- Diced onion
- Pancetta or bacon
- Vegetable broth
- Basil leaves
- Glass of white wine
- Grated parmesan cheese
- Salt & pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil
How To Cook This Pasta & Potatoes
We have two versions for cooking this pasta, either cook the sauce first and then the pasta in two different pots or cook everything in one pot.
In this recipe I cooked the sauce separately, but below you will also find the version in one pot.
Start by sautéing the onion and carrots, brown them, and add the bacon. After letting it cook for a couple of minutes, add the potatoes.
Add the vegetable broth and bring to the boil then simmer slowly, when the potatoes have softened, mash some with a fork, this will make the dish super creamy.
Meanwhile, cook the pasta in salted water.
When the pasta is al dente transfer to the pan with the sauce, remember to always leave to keep a glass with the pasta cooking water, mix the pasta with the sauce and add the cheese and pasta cooking water, and mix well together.
It’s probably one of my favorite things to cook!
It reminds me so much of my childhood growing up in a small, Sicilian town.
I’d come home from school, and this pasta dish would be waiting on the table for me, prepared by my mother.
In Italy we eat pasta 7 days a week, especially at lunchtime.
This dish can also be prepared for a quick dinner, as I know in most other countries pasta is preferred as a dinner.
Pasta With Potatoes: A Delicious & Creamy Pasta Dish
- Spaghetti With Zucchini: A Simple Dish Full Of Taste
- Pasta Recipe With Fresh Tomatoes: A Quick And Tasty Meal
- Pasta With Peas And Bacon: Easy And Fast Italian Recipe!
- Cooking In One Pot
Another way to prepare this recipe is to cook the pasta along with the sauce.
When the potatoes are softened, mash some of them with the back of a wooden spoon; at this point pour in the mixed pasta.
Immediately add another 2 cups of hot water and bring everything to the boil.
Let the pasta cook, stirring from time to time: should it be necessary, add more water if needed.
- Vegetarian Version
To create a delicious vegetarian pasta, the recipe is the same, you just need to omit the bacon.
- Baked Variant of Pasta & Potatoes
To make this version, all you have to do is turn off the heat when the pasta is still al dente and slightly brothy, add the mozzarella cut into small pieces and tip everything into a baking dish.
Top with grated parmesan and pecorino cheese, a sprinkling of pepper and bake au gratin in the oven for about 10 minutes.
- One of the richest and most delicious versions of pasta e patate alla napoletana is the addition of what is known in Campania as provola or smoked mozzarella.
Simply cut it into cubes and let it melt at the end of cooking, stirring well until it becomes stringy and creamy.
An irresistible pleasure for your palate!
- Always save a cup of pasta cooking water. This will be used to whip the pasta with fromage to make it creamier and delicious.
- The pasta should always be al dente, to avoid the mushy effect.
- If you are using authentic parmesan cheese and it’s nearly done, instead of throwing away the crust, add it to your pasta and let it cook for a few minutes. This adds a real unique creaminess to any Italian dish!
Frequently asked questions
Are Potatoes Healthy?
Yes, Potatoes bring important benefits. Due to its good fiber content, the potato is able to reduce the absorption of fats, sugars and cholesterol, while stimulating intestinal activity and having a significant satiating effect.
The vitamin C content makes the potato an important ally for healthy skin, muscles and bones:
Is Pasta Healthy?
Yes, to pasta in itself is not bad for you, but it must be combined in a balanced way, from a quantitative and qualitative point of view, with protein foods, in order to have a healthy correct nutrition
To make this dish even better, add a pinch of freshly ground black pepper or a pinch of chopped red pepper.
This will add even more flavor to the pasta.
As befits traditional Italian country cooking, just a few ingredients are used in an inventive way to produce a rich taste and creamy texture.
CONNECT WITH THE BELLA VITA!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
The result is a very simple main course that takes less than half an hour to cook. Perfect to prepare when you feel a little down, this pasta with potatoes will give you joy with every bite!
- 5 Medium-sized potatoes
- 1 Diced onion
- Half diced carrot
- 200g of pancetta or bacon ( 1 Cup )
- 2 Cups of vegetable broth
- 5 Basil leaves
- 1/2 Glass of white wine
- 500g of any pasta ( 4-5 Cups depending on which pasta )
- Grated parmesan cheese ( about 1/2 cup
- Salt & pepper
- 2 Tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- First peel the potatoes and dice them, and slice up the carrots and onion.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrots and basil and let them soften. At this point add a pinch of salt & pepper too.
- Add the diced bacon and cook for about 3-4 minutes, until the bacon is golden.
- Add the potatoes and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth and bring to the boil then simmer slowly.
- When the potatoes have softened, mash them with a fork, then add the white wine and bring to the boil then let it simmer. The potatoes don't need to be mashed 100%, but just roughly.
- In another pot cook the pasta with a pinch of salt.
- Add the pasta once it's al dente into your pan containing all the other ingredients. Mix well. Tip: Save one glass of the water you used to cook the pasta in.
- Add the glass of pasta water and parmesan cheese and mix everything together. This will create an amazing cream.
Pasta is ready!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 797Total Fat: 38gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 24gCholesterol: 46mgSodium: 619mgCarbohydrates: 89gFiber: 8gSugar: 5gProtein: 21g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.