If you own an air fryer, then you must try this recipe. It will change the way you make burritos forever.
I love burritos, and this way of cooking them is super easy and makes very little mess.
Why This Recipe Is The Best
Perfect for using leftovers: Do you have rice that’s leftover, or leftover vegetables?
Turn these leftovers into something delicious, like a burrito!
No dirt in the kitchen: Thanks to the air fryer we will dirty practically nothing in our kitchen.
Customizable: You can use the ingredients you like best for your burrito!
What Goes In This Air Fryer Burrito?
In my recipe I used the ingredients I list below, but the beauty of the burrito is that you can use the ingredients you like best.
These are the main ingredients you need for this air fryer burrito.
For the step-by-step directions and measurements, scroll down to our printable recipe card.
Rice: The addition of rice makes the burrito a complete meal; season the rice as you like. I seasoned mine with salt, pepper and parsley. For me, simple is best.
Tortilla: Use the tortillas you like best, flour or corn are both fine.
Garlic: I am a garlic lover; I use it to give more flavor when I cook beans. But if you don’t like it, you can omit it.
Cherry tomatos: It adds that sweet flavor to your tortillas, I cook them along with the beans.
Mozzarella: I like the combination with beans and rice, and when they melt together. You can use the cheese you like best.
Spices: I used simple spices – salt, black pepper and parsley for this recipe.
Sauce: In this one I used mayonnaise seasoned with garlic, parsley, lemon and pepper.
Hummus is also great for making this burrito.
How To Make This Easy Air Fryer Burrito
Start with cooking the rice: Wash the rice, this will help remove excess starch. I used basmati rice.
Put it in a pot with twice as much water, so I cooked 1 cup of rice, we need to use 2 cups of water.
Bring to the boil over medium heat and afterwards lower the heat to low and cook with the lid leaving a small gap.
When it is cooked we can season it.
If you have leftover rice, you can use that.
Saute the beans: Fry the sliced clove of galric in a pan with a tablespoon of olive oil, and when it is browned, add the beans and cherry tomatoes.
Season to taste with salt and pepper and saute a few more minutes.
Prepare the other ingredients: Cut the mozzarella into small slices, and season the mayonnaise with a clove of chopped garlic, a teaspoon of lemon, chopped parsley and black pepper.
Assemble the burritos: Take a tortilla and arrange some sautéed beans, rice, and the mozzarella in the center.
Fold up the sides of the tortilla first , then fold the bottom over the filling and roll the tortilla from the bottom up, keeping the closure down. You will find the video below.
Cook in the air fry: Using a kitchen brush, spread a little oil on top, and cook your burrito for 5 minutes.
What can I serve with a burrito?
I love to serve it with guacamole and these delicious sweet potatoes cooked in the air fryer.
Recipe Notes & Tips:
- Do not overfill the burritto: It will be more difficult to close it.
- Roll it in foil if you prefer a burrito soft on the outside.
- Do not overfill the basket of the air fryer, it depends on the size of the burritto, put two or three at most.
Burrito Filling Ideas
Burrito with rice, corn and jalapeno:
You can make your own vegetarian burritos with pre-cooked rice, corn, jalapenos and hot cheese.
Chili con carne: Chili con carne is a stew of ground beef and red beans, slow cooked with tomato pulp, onion, garlic, bell bell pepper, a pinch of chili and cumin. In order to stuff the burrito, it is necessary to let the sauce con carne con carne thicken a bit.
Chicken with yogurt sauce:
Marinate chicken with lime, thyme and ginger. Cook it in a pan and stuff your burrito with the addition of your favorite yogurt sauce.
Wash, clean and chop tomatoes, onion, cucumbers, peppers and a salad leaf. Pour into a bowl, add pitted black olives, crumbled feta, oregano and finally simply season with a drizzle of oil.
Fill the tortilla with the rich salad and a spoonful of aromatic tzatziki sauce.
I love this version of the burrito!
A burrito covered in red enchilada sauce and topped with cheese. A super cheesy version!
Cheesy Chicken Burrito
Prepare this salsa chicken, when ready, shred the chicken and fill the burrito.
Should I Wrap My Burritos in Foil When Cooking in Air Fryer?
If you prefer a soft burrito yes, but on the other hand if you want a super crispy burrito I would recommend no.
Can I Make Burritos Ahead
Yes of course, this recipe is perfect for preparing your meals in advance.
Make your burritos, wrap them in foil or plastic wrap so the wrap doesn’t dry out.
How to Store Burritos?
Refrigerator: You can store them in an airtight container, wrapped with foil or plastic wrap, so they don’t lose their shape. Keep them for up to two days.
Freezer: This recipe can also be frozen. Put your burrittos in advance and store them for up to 3 months in the freezer.
How to Reheat Burritos?
Air fryer: Preheat the air fryer for a few minutes, place your frozen burritos and cook for about 10 minutes at 375°F (190°C).
What technically is a burrito?
The burrito is a typical Mexican street food, one of the symbols of Tex-Mex cuisine, and consists of a tortilla filled and then rolled on itself and accompanied by sauces such as guacamole, made with avocado, sour cream or other sauces made with cheese, garlic or hot peppers.
The classic one is made of meat, but of course nothing prohibits preparing it vegetarian, as in this case
The term burrito comes from the Spanish word “burro,” which stands for “donkey,” so it literally means “donkey,” and was coined in 1895, referring to the famous tortilla seller Juan Mendez.
During the Mexican Revolution in the 1910s, Méndez decided to wrap his food in flour tortillas to keep it warm and carry it on his donkey.
Should burritos have rice?
The original burrito has flour tortilla, a filling of meat, beans and salsa. But the addition of rice makes it more of a complete meal.
How do you keep burritos from getting soggy?
The rice and ingredients should be cold when we insert them into the tortilla.
Can you air fry frozen burritos?
Preheat the air fryer to 375°F (190°C) for 5 minutes, and cook the burrito for 15 minutes.
CONNECT WITH THE BELLA VITA!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Looking to make an air fryer burrito? In this recipe, I quickly show you how I made a simple, meatless air fryer burrito!
- 4 Tortillas, flour or corn
- 1 cup Rice
- 2 cans Beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 Cherry tomatoes
- 1 Garlic
- A bunch of parsley
- 1 Tablespoon of olive oil
- First start with the rice. If you have leftover rice on hand that's fine. Wash the rice under running water to remove excess starch. Put the rice in a pot with twice as much water as the rice (1 cup rice +2 cups water). Bring to the boil over medium heat, and afterwards lower the heat and cover with a lid, leaving a gap.
- This will take about 10 minutes. At this point you will see that the rice will have absorbed all the water. Then turn off the heat, put the lid back on and leave it like this for another five minutes.
In this way the rice will finish cooking, absorbing the steam that will have been created, after which open, shell with a fork and season the rice with salt, black pepper and chopped parsley.
- Prepare the ingredients for the filling. Cut the garlic into slices, if you don't like garlic you can leave it whole and remove it later, and cut the cherry tomatoes in half. Drain the beans.
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat, sauté the garlic, add the tomatoes and beans, and season with salt and pepper. Cook everything for about 5 minutes.
- Start stuffing the tortillas. Place the tortilla on a flat surface, start with the salsa, mayonnaise or hummus, spread it in the center. Then place about 2 tablespoons of rice, the mozzarella and beans. Leave the edges (about 2 cm) of the tortillas free so that the dough does not spill out.
- Fold in the sides of the tortilla first, then fold the bottom over the filling and roll the tortilla from the bottom up, keeping the closure down. (Video below).
- Pre heat the air fryer to 375°F (190°C). Meanwhile with the help of a cooking brush, spread oil on top. Place the burritos in the basket of the air fryer, being careful not to overlap them. Cook the burritos at 375°F (190°C) for about 5 minutes. Serve with guacamole or your favorite side dish.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 414Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 694mgCarbohydrates: 72gFiber: 8gSugar: 12gProtein: 13g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.