These air fryer smashed Brussels sprouts recipes are a really crispy treat.
They make a delicious side dish and are one of my easiest recipes.
It is a fun way to prepare Brussels sprouts, and I’m sure the kids will also love this version.
I saw this brussels sprouts recipe idea on social media and wanted to try it!
Brussel Sprouts: You can use fresh Brussels sprouts, but frozen ones are also good to use.
For the preparation of this recipe we have to boil the brussel sprouts in a large pot of salted water, between fresh and frozen ones only the minutes of boiling changes.
Spices: You can use whatever spices you like.
I used fresh garlic for this version, but garlic powder or roasted garlic is also fine. Salt and black pepper should not be missing!
Parmesan Cheese: I used grated parmesan cheese.
Parmesan cheese will give a unique flavor and crispness to these crispy smashed Brussel sprouts
Olive Oil: I love the flavor of olive oil for this recipe, but avocado oil is good, too.
How To Make This Smashed Brussel Sprouts
The first step is to boil the Brussels sprouts until they are soft but not overcooked.
After boiling them, I recommend you do an ice bath to stop the cooking.
Let them cool in a bowl with cold water and ice. Drain and dry them with a paper towel.
Prepare the spice mixture and parmesan cheese in a small bowl with the oil.
Smash the Brussels sprouts with the bottom of a glass into a flat surface area.
Meanwhile, preheat the air fryer or oven.
I used the air fryer, but below, you will also find instructions for oven cooking.
Place the Brussels sprouts in the basket of the air fryer, and with a kitchen brush, apply the spice, cheese, and oil mix on top.
Let them cook for 5 minutes, turn them over, brush the mix again, and cook for another 4 to 5 minutes.
Variations of Smashed Brussels Sprouts
Add red pepper flakes: For a spicier flavor, add some chili pepper to the oil mix.
Make it vegan: To turn this recipe into a vegan recipe, you must eliminate the parmesan cheese and add more herbs and spices to customize.
Add balsamic vinegar: This will give the Brussels an absolutely delicious flavor.
Spray a little balsamic vinegar in the last 3 minutes of cooking.
Choose another cheese: I love the taste of parmesan, but you can choose any cheese you like, such as mozzarella, cheddar, or pecorino, for this recipe.
The important thing is that the cheese is grated.
What To Serve With These Crispy Smashed Brussels Sprouts
How To Store
Store: Store them in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Reheat them: I don’t recommend reheating them in the microwave, as they will lose their crispness. Reheat them in the air fryer or oven.
Freeze: You can freeze Brussels sprouts in a container for up to 3 months. Usually, the sprouts will get mushy on thawing, but the oven or air fryer will give them crispness again.
Brussels sprouts belong to the part of the cruciferous vegetable.
Brussels sprouts are part of the cabbage family and have been obtained over the centuries through a specific botanical technique.
Smashed Brussel Sprouts Recipe Tiktok
CONNECT WITH THE BELLA VITA!
Be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post!
- 10 oz Brussel sprouts
- 1 Garlic
- 3 tablespoons Olive oil
- A pinch of sea salt and black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- Clean the sprouts by cutting off the ends and removing the outer leaves if needed.
- Set a pot with water to boil. When it boils, add the salt and sprouts and let them cook for about 10 minutes. You can also microwave them if you prefer. Put the sprouts in a microwave-safe bowl, add half a cup of water, and let them cook for 4-6 minutes (check after a few minutes if there is enough water).
- When they are ready, put them in a large bowl with water and ice to stop the cooking process. Drain them and dry them with a cloth.
- Add the oil, spices, pressed garlic, and parmesan cheese in a small mixing bowl and mix well.
- Smash the sprouts with the help of the bottom of a glass; in the meantime, preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C) for 2 minutes.
- Transfer the sprouts to the basket of the air fryer, being careful not to overlap them, and spread the oil mixture on top with a kitchen brush. Cook in the air fryer for 5 minutes at 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- After the 5 minutes have passed, turn the sprouts over with the help of kitchen tongs, spread the oil mixture on top again, and cook for another 4 to 5 minutes at 400 degrees F.
- Serve with dips for a delicious finger appetizer.
Cooking in the oven
Place the crushed Brussels on a baking sheet. I do not recommend using baking paper for a crispier result. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes at 425 degrees F.
- No overcooking; we want them soft so we can smash them but not overcook them.
- If you choose to bake them, do not use baking paper.
- Try to choose sprouts all the same size, for homogeneous cooking, if they are too big after boiling you can cut them in half.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 256Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 169mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 4gSugar: 2gProtein: 5g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.