These air fryer smashed brussel sprouts recipe are a really crispy treat.
They make a delicious side dish and are one of the easiest recipes I make.
It is a fun way to prepare brussels sprouts, and I’m sure this version will be loved by the kids as well.
I saw this brussels sprouts recipe idea on social media and I wanted to try it!
TABLE OF CONTENTS
You can use fresh brussel sprouts, but frozen ones are also good to use.
For the preparation of this recipe we have to boil the brussel sprouts in a large pot of salted water, between fresh and frozen ones only the minutes of boiling changes.
You can use whatever spices you like. I used fresh garlic for this version, but garlic powder or roasted garlic is also fine.
Salt and black pepper should not be missing!
I used grated parmesan cheese.
Parmesan cheese will give a unique flavor and crispness to these crispy smashed brussel sprouts
I love the flavor of olive oil for this recipe, but avocado oil is good too.
How To Make This Smashed Brussel Sprouts
The first step is to boil the brussel sprouts, until they are soft but not over cooked.
After boiling them, to stop the cooking I recommend you do an ice bath.
Let them cool in a bowl with cold water and ice. Drain and dry them with a paper towel.
Prepare the spice mixture and parmesan cheese with the oil in a small bowl.
Smash the Brussels sprouts with a bottom of a glass into a flat surface area.
Meanwhile, preheat the air fryer or oven.
I used the air fryer, but below you will also find instructions for oven cooking.
Place the brussell sprouts in the basket of the air fryer, and with a kitchen brush, apply the spice, cheese and oil mix on top.
Let them cook 5 minutes and turn them over, brush the mix again, and let them cook for another 4 to 5 minutes.
A Couple of Variations of Smashed Brussels Sprouts
Add red pepper flakes.
For a spicier flavor, add some chili pepper to the oil mix.
Make it vegan
To turn this recipe into a vegan recipe you must eliminate the parmesan cheese, add more herbs and spices to customize.
Add balsamic vinegar
This will give the brussels an absolutely delicious flavor. Spray a little balsamic vinegar in the last 3 minutes of cooking.
Choose another cheese
I love the taste of parmesan, but for this recipe you can choose any cheese you like such as mozzarella, cheedar or pecorino. The important thing is that the cheese is grated.
What To Serve With These Crispy Smashed Brussels Sprouts
How To Store
Store: Store them in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Reheat them: I don’t recommend reheating them in the microwave, as they will lose their crispness. Reheat them in the air fryer or oven.
Freeze: You can freeze Brussels sprouts in a container for up to 3 months. Usually the sprouts will get mushy on thawing, but the oven or air fryer will give them crispness again.
Consuming Brussels sprouts helps protect health, thanks to the presence of antioxidants.
They are an excellent sources of vitamins E, A and vitamin C, which are allies in skin health.
They are also rich in fiber. In addition, some studies say that eating lots of Brussels sprouts and other cruciferous vegetables eliminates the risk of certain cancers.
Brussels sprouts belong to the part of the cruciferous vegetable.
Brussels sprouts are part of the cabbage family, have been obtained over the centuries through a specific botanical technique.
Smashed Brussel Sprouts Recipe Tiktok
CONNECT WITH THE BELLA VITA!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Delicious brussel in air fryer.
- 10 oz Brussel sprouts
- 1 Garlic
- 3 tablespoons Olive oil
- A pinch of sea salt and black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- Clean the sprouts by cutting off the ends and removing the outer leaves if needed.
- Set a pot with water to boil. When it boils, add the salt and sprouts and let them cook for about 10 minutes. You can also microwave them if you prefer. Put the sprouts in a microwave safe bowl add half cup of water and let them cook for 4-6 minutes (check after few minuts if is enough water).
- When they are ready, put them in a large bowl with water and ice to stop the cooking process. Drain them and dry them with a cloth.
- In a small mixing bowl add the oil, spices, pressed garlic and the parmesan cheese and mix well.
- Smash the sprouts with the help of the bottom of a glass ,in the meantimePreheat the air fryer to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C) for 2 minutes.
- Transfer the sprouts to the basket of the air fryer, being careful not to overlap them, and with a kitchen brush spread the oil mixture on top. Cook in air fryer for 5 minutes at 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- After the 5 minutes have passed, turn the sprouts over with the help of kitchen tongs and spread the oil mixture on top again and cook for another 4 to 5 minutes at 400 degrees F.
- Serve with dips for a delicious finger appetizer.
Cooking in the oven
Place the crushed brussells in a baking sheet. I do not recommend using baking paper for a crispier result. Bake for for 20 to 30 minutes at 425 degrees F.
- No overcooking the covolettes, we want them soft so we can smash them but not overcook.
- If you choose to bake them, do not use baking paper.
- Try to choose sprouts all the same size, for homogeneous cooking, if they are too big after boiling you can cut them in half.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 256Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 169mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 4gSugar: 2gProtein: 5g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.