Making French toast in your air fryer gives you that perfect crispy edge and soft, fluffy middle without oil or dirty pans.
Air fryer french toast cuts back on prep and lets you relax more with your first meal.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Why You Will Love This Easy Breakfast Recipe
Quick and easy recipe: You can have a delicious breakfast on the table in under 20 minutes with this easy air fryer recipe.
Minimal mess: With minimal oil, there’s less splatter and mess. Just wipe out the fryer basket when done.
It’s healthier: Less oil is needed than traditional French toast.
Versatile flavors: From classic cinnamon and sugar to decadent variations like Nutella or fresh berries, you can customize your French toast with your favorite toppings.
Kid Friendly: The whole family will love this French toast.
Bread: Opt for slightly stale or day-old bread, which absorbs the egg mixture better without becoming too mushy.
Thick bread slices work best, holding shape and providing a substantial base.
When choosing bread for French toast, some top types of bread include brioche bread, Challah bread, or Texas toast.
You can also use wheat bread or sourdough, but the texture will differ.
Use gluten-free bread to make this recipe suitable for those with gluten sensitivities or dietary restrictions.
Milk: Opt for whole milk for the best texture.
Egg: The base of the batter, the egg, adds structure to our French toast.
Cinnamon: Cinnamon brings a warm, spicy depth to the French toast.
Brown Sugar: A tablespoon of sugar sweetens the batter.
How To Make French Toast In The Air Fryer
Preheat your air fryer to 375°F (190°C) for a few minutes.
Whisk the milk, eggs, cinnamon, and sugar in a shallow bowl. Blend everything well.
Dip each slice of bread into the milk and egg mixture, ensuring both sides are well-coated.
Lightly grease with butter or oil, or place parchment paper in the fryer basket.
Place the soaked bread slices into the air fryer basket in a single layer.
Cook the French toast in the air fryer for 3-4 minutes.
Flip toast slices and cook for two more minutes until golden brown and crispy.
Serve warm with desired toppings.
What Syrups Should I Use?
Traditional maple syrup is always a favorite.
Consider drizzling your French toast with honey, chocolate sauce, caramel, or fresh cranberry sauce.
Tips For Best Results
Preparing French toast in the air fryer is easy; however, there are some small tips I want to give you to ensure a perfect result each time:
- Make sure not to overcrowd the air fryer basket.
- Preheat your air fryer.
- If your air fryer has a smaller capacity, you may need to cook the French toast in batches.
- Allow the slices of bread to soak in the egg mixture for a few seconds on each side; don’t oversoak the bread. I count up to 5 seconds on each side.
- Flip the French toast halfway through the cooking time to ensure both sides are evenly browned.
What To Serve With Air Fryer French Toast – Optional Toppings
- Fresh berries, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, or a combination.
- Fresh fruit like bananas or pineapple.
- Chopped nuts, toasted almonds, pecans, or walnuts provide a satisfying crunch.
- Whipped cream – a fluffy dollop of whipped cream adds a delightful touch.
- Powdered sugar, a light dusting of powdered sugar adds an elegant finishing touch.
- Nutella or peanut butter spread.
French toast roll: A different and fun way to prepare French toast; I love filling it with peanut butter or Nutella.
Different spices: Try combinations like pumpkin spice, chai-spiced, chocolate extract, vanilla extract and, lemon zest, or cardamom and orange.
Overnight French Toast: A variation that I love to prepare during the holidays, so in the morning, all you have to do is cook them. Remember to use a baking pan that fits in the air fryer’s basket.
Make savory French toast: Add a pinch of salt instead of sugar and cinnamon.
Keto French toast: For those on a keto diet.
Store and Reheat French Toast
You can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
To reheat, pop the slices of French toast back into the air fryer for 2-3 minutes until warm and crispy again.
Can you freeze leftover French toast?
Yes, you can freeze leftover French toast. Place the cooled slices in a freezer bag or container, separating them with parchment paper to prevent sticking.
To reheat, you don’t need to thaw. Cook the frozen French toast at 350°F for 4 – 5 minutes.
Can I use skim milk instead of whole milk?
Yes, you can use skim milk or any other variety you prefer, such as oat milk or soy milk.
Can I prepare the milk and egg mixture the night before?
Yes, you can prepare the milk and egg mixture the night before and store it in the refrigerator. This way, you can save time in the morning and have your French toast ready in no time for a quick breakfast.
Classic French Toast In The Air Fryer
CONNECT WITH THE BELLA VITA!
Be sure to follow me on social media so you never miss a post!
- 2 Eggs
- 3/4 cup Milk
- 1 tablespoon Brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 4 Slices of bread
- Preheat the air fryer to 375°F.
- Whisk eggs, milk, cinnamon, and sugar in a shallow dish until smooth and well combined.
- Soak bread in egg mixture, and dunk both sides of each slice in the egg mixture.
- Spray some oil or use parchment paper in the basket.
- Place in a single layer in your air fryer basket, leaving a little space between each slice.
- Cook at 375°F for 3-4 minutes per side, until golden brown.
- Serve hot with your favorite topping.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 474Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 193mgSodium: 723mgCarbohydrates: 73gFiber: 4gSugar: 18gProtein: 20g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.