Pizza Rolls are a really quick and easy recipe to make, delicious and super good looking.
Perfect to enjoy for an aperitif with friends, for a savory snack spent with the family, ideal to take with you in your picnic basket or great to serve as an appetizer at a pizza night party.
These pizza rolls are stuffed with tomato, mozzarella and oregano, but according to your taste you can make the recipe even more delicious by varying the filling with cold cuts, various cheeses or vegetables.
Pizza is one of the symbolic dishes of the Italian culinary tradition, known throughout the world.
It can be round, by the meter or in slices.
In the following recipe we twist the classic shape and we roll it up creating some very tasty rolls.
Why Make Pizza Rolls?
Easy recipe: It’s easy and really delicious. If you’re a pizza lover like me you should definitely try this version of pizza.
Fully customizable: You can experiment with your favorite pizza toppings and sauces to find your perfect combination.
Perfect for a snack: Homemade pizza rolls are a quick and easy appetizer that can be made in bulk and frozen for later use.
This makes them a convenient quick snack to have on hand for busy weeknights.
What Do You Need to Make Pizza Rolls?
To make these delicious pizza rolls, you’ll need a few basic ingredients that you can easily find in your pantry or local grocery store.
Pizza dough: You can choose to make the pizza dough at home or, if you don’t have enough time, buy it ready-made.
I prefer to make it at home, I don’t know but homemade things have a special taste, and believe me it is really easy and fast to prepare.
Below I explain how to prepare the pizza dough from the scratch.
For a keto version of this pizza rolls make this fathead dough.
Mozzarella cheese: Choose mozzarella for pizza.
This specific pizza mozzarella contains less water than table mozzarella.
Mozzarella for pizza has a reduced amount of serum because otherwise it would wet the dough while cooking, leaving it raw.
Tomato sauce: To prepare the tomato sauce for topping the pizza rolls, place the peeled tomatoes in the blender.
Add to the peeled tomatoes a couple of basil leaves already washed, a small plug of oregano, a teaspoon of salt, a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil and blend everything for a couple of minutes.
Or use your favorite pizza sauce.
Italian seasoning: I used oregano and fresh basil, my favorite Italian herbs.
How to Make Our Classic Pizza Rolls Recipe
Prepare pizza dough: For these pizza rolls, you can either prerare homemade pizza dough or use ready-made pizza dough from the supermarket.
If you want to make it at home, then in the recipe card you will find the process.
Prepare the toppings: In a lightly floured surface place the pizza dough, and prepare the sauce.
Combine the peeled tomatoes, basil, olive oil, salt, pepper and oregano and blitz.
Grate the mozzarella and set apart.
Assemble: Using a spoon, spread the tomato sauce on the pizza dough with rectangular shape.
Add the mozzarella and oregano evenly, taking care not to put them in the edges, otherwise it will be difficult to close the roll.
Roll ups: Fold the dough with the filling into a tight log.
Seal the edges of the rolls tightly to prevent any filling from leaking out.
Use a sharp knife to cut the roll into slices at a thickness of 1-inch and place them on an oiled baking sheet.
Cover with a cloth and let rise until the dough has doubled in size (if using homemade dough).
With the help of a kitchen brush, brush with a little milk to give it a nice golden brown color and bake in a preheated oven for about 25-30 minutes.
- Focaccia Recipe Easy Authentic with Olives, Tomatoes & Rosemary!
- The 20 Best Homemade Pizza Recipes On The Internet
Tips & Tricks
- If you own a planetary mixer, you can make pizza dough using the hook-shaped attachment.
- If you make homemade pizza dough, the oven that is turned off with the light on is a great place to let the dough rise, as it is a warm.
- Make sure the dough is rolled out thinly and evenly to ensure even cooking and a crispy crust.
- Don’t over-stuff the rolls, as this can cause them to burst open during cooking.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the rolls into even pieces.
A dull knife may squish the rolls and make them less appetizing, If you’re having trouble slicing through the dough and filling, try using a serrated knife instead.
The teeth of the knife will grip the outside of the roll, making it easier to cut through the layers.
- Try using dental floss to slice through them.
Simply slide a piece of floss under the roll where you want to cut it, then pull the ends of the floss in opposite directions to slice cleanly through the dough and filling.
Pizza Roll Variations
There are plenty of ways to switch up the traditional recipe and make it your own. Here are some ideas to get you started:
Below are my favorite filling ingredients
- Zucchini, bacon and parmesan cheese
- Cream cheese and salmon.
- Mini pepperonis and mozzarella.
- Eggplant, basil and mozzarella cheese.
- Spinach and feta cheese.
- Zucchini & feta cheese.
- Garlic and oregano.
- Olives, bell pepper and tomato.
Don’t be afraid to get creative and come up with your own unique spin on pizza rolls.
Did you know you can make a sweet version of these rolls?
Perfect for breakfast or snack, these chocolate rolls are super delicious!
How To Store
Fridge: The best way to store your pizza rolls is to place them in an airtight container and refrigerate them for 3 days.
When you’re ready to eat them again, simply preheat your oven to 350°F, line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and place the pizza rolls on top.
Bake them for 8-10 minutes or until they’re heated through and crispy.
Freezer: Simply place them in a freezer bag, label them with the date, and store them in the freezer with plastic wrap.
When you’re ready to eat them, let them thaw in the fridge overnight before reheating them in the oven.
You can also cook these homemade pizza rolls in the air fryer.
Set the temperature to 380℉/194℃ and cook them for 6-8 minutes, flipping them halfway through cooking.
Up to two months. Make sure to label the container or bag with the date so you know how long they’ve been frozen.
Of course! You can use pre-made pizza dough from the store or even crescent rolls dough for a quick and easy alternative.
Pizza Roll Recipe
CONNECT WITH THE BELLA VITA!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Pizza rolls, a delicious variation of pizza that we are sure will be loved by the whole family.
- Pizza dough (homemade or store-bough)
- 1 cup Mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup Pizza Tomato sauce
- Salt, black pepper and oregano to taste
- Fresh Basil leaves for garnish
Pizza Dough Recipe
- 4 cup purpose flour
- 1.25 cup Warm water
- 2.25 teaspoon Instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoon salt
Homemade pizza sauce
- 1 cup peeled tomatoes
- 4 Basil leaves
- Salt, black pepper and oregano to taste
- 1 Tablespoon of olive oil
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, yeast and sugar and stir together.
- Add the warm water and start stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Add salt and start kneading with your hands.
- To make a better dough transfer to a flat surface and knead for about 10 to 15 minutes. The result should be a smooth and elastic dough.
- Let the pizza dough rest in the bowl covered with a cloth for about 1 1/2 hours. (you can skip this part if you use ready-made pizza dough).
- When the pizza dough has risen just right, it should rise more than twice as high. Let's start making the tomato sauce that we'll use to top the pizza rolls.
- In a bowl, combine the peeled tomatoes, basil, 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt, pepper and oregano and whisk together.
- Grate the mozzarella and set aside.
- On a floured cutting board board, roll out the pizza dough with a rolling pin and form a rectangle not too thick.
- Pour the tomato sauce over it, and with the help of a spoon spread it in the pizza dough. Add the mozzarella and oregano, I added half an onion.
- Roll it up to form a sausage.
- Seal well the edge after rolling the dough.
- With a knife, cut the roll into slices a 1-inch pieces thick and place them on an oiled baking sheet. Cover with a cloth and let rise until the dough has doubled in size.
- Preheat the static oven to 375 F degrees.
- Before putting them in the oven, with a brush wet the pizza rolls with a little milk. Bake for about 25/30 minutes.
- Our pizza rolls are ready.
- Serve them while hot with some basil on top.
- Resist adding too much filling, because it will be hard to roll the dough if there is too much stuff in it. Also, it will be a mess if the filling starts to run.
- Don't forget to seal the edge after rolling the dough so it won't burst when cutting.
- Add a pinch of sugar to your pizza sauce to reduce acidity and make it even more kid-friendly.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 256Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 11mgSodium: 681mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 9g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.