Pizza Rolls are a really quick and easy recipe to make, delicious and super good looking.
Perfect to enjoy for an aperitif with friends, for a savory snack spent with the family, ideal to take with you in your picnic basket or great to serve as an appetizer at a dinner party.
These pizza rolls are stuffed with tomato, mozzarella and oregano, but according to your taste you can make the recipe even more delicious by varying the filling with cold cuts, various cheeses or vegetables.
Pizza is one of the symbolic dishes of the Italian culinary tradition, known throughout the world.
It can be round, by the meter or in slices.
In the following recipe we twist the classic shape and we roll it up creating some very tasty rolls.
Why Make Pizza Rolls?
I love making this recipe.
It’s easy and really delicious.
If you’re a pizza lover like me you should definitely try this version of pizza.
Also with this recipe you can indulge yourself for the filling.
These in the recipe are simple with tomato and mozzarella but you can dress it up however you like.
Below are a few ideas:
- Zucchini and bacon.
- Cream cheese and salmon.
- Salami and mozzarella.
- Eggplant, basil and mozzarella cheese.
- Spinach and feta cheese.
- Zucchini & feta cheese.
- Garlic and oregano.
- Olives and tomato.
Did you know you can make a sweet version of these rolls?
Perfect for breakfast or snack, these chocolate rolls are super delicious!
What Do You Need to Make Pizza Rolls?
You can choose to make the pizza dough at home or, if you don’t have enough time, buy it ready-made.
I prefer to make it at home, I don’t know but homemade things have a special taste, and believe me it is really easy and fast to prepare.
Below I explain how to prepare the pizza dough from the scratch.
For a keto version of this pizza rolls make this fathead dough.
Choose mozzarella for pizza.
This specific pizza mozzarella contains less water than table mozzarella.
Mozzarella for pizza has a reduced amount of serum because otherwise it would wet the dough while cooking, leaving it raw.
To prepare the tomato sauce for topping the pizza rolls, place the peeled tomatoes in the blender.
Add to the peeled tomatoes a couple of basil leaves already washed, a small plug of oregano, a teaspoon of salt, a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil and blend everything for a couple of minutes.
Pizza Rolls: Step by Step Recipe
- Focaccia Recipe Easy Authentic with Olives, Tomatoes & Rosemary!
- The 20 Best Homemade Pizza Recipes On The Internet
Tips & Tricks
- If you own a planetary mixer, you can make pizza dough using the hook-shaped attachment.
- This dough is also perfect for making simple pizza.
- The oven that is turned off with the light on is a great place to let the dough rise, as it is a warm.
How To Store
The pizza rolls can be stored for 3 days in the fridge in an airtight container.
Reheat in the oven for about 10 minutes.
Alternatively, they can be frozen, after baking, once cold, and stored for up two months.
Can I Cook Pizza Rolls In An Air Fryer?
You can also cook these homemade pizza rolls in the air fryer.
Set the temperature to 380℉/194℃ and cook them for 6-8 minutes, flipping them halfway through cooking.
Pizza Rolls Recipe
Pizza rolls, a delicious variation of pizza that we are sure will be loved by the whole family.
- Pizza dough
- 100g of Mozzarella cheese ( 0.88 cup)
- 100g of Tomato sauce (1/2 cup)
- Salt, pepper and oregano to taste
- Basil leaves for garnish
For the Pizza Dough
- 500g Of all purpose flour (3 cups + 2 tbsp)
- 300ml Warm water (1 1/4 cup)
- 10g Of instant yeast (2.25 tsp)
- 1 Tsp sugar
- 2 Tsp salt
For the tomato sauce
- 150g Of peeled tomatoes (about 1 cup)
- 4 Basil leaves
- Salt, pepper and oregano to taste
- 1 Tablespoon of olive oil
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, yeast and sugar and stir together.
- Add the warm water and start stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Add salt and start kneading with your hands.
- To make a better dough transfer to a flat surface and knead for about 10 to 15 minutes. The result should be a smooth and elastic dough.
- Let the pizza dough rest in the bowl covered with a cloth for about 1 1/2 hours. ( You can skip this part if you use ready-made pizza dough)
- When the pizza dough has risen just right, it should rise more than twice as high. Let's start making the tomato sauce that we'll use to top the pizza rolls.
- In a bowl, combine the peeled tomatoes, basil, 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt, pepper and oregano and whisk together.
- Grate the mozzarella and set aside.
- On a floured pastry board, roll out the pizza dough with a rolling pin and form a rectangle not too thick.
- Pour the tomato sauce over it, and with the help of a spoon spread it in the pizza dough. Add the mozzarella and oregano, I added half an onion.
- Roll it up to form a sausage. Seal well the edge after rolling the dough
- With a knife, cut the roll into slices a couple of inches thick and place them on an oiled baking sheet. Cover with a cloth and let rise until the dough has doubled in size.
- Preheat the static oven to 180 degrees. Before putting them in the oven, with a brush wet the pizza rolls with a little milk. Bake for about 25/30 minutes.
- Our pizza rolls are ready.Serve them while hot with some basil on top.
- Resist adding too much filling, because it will be hard to roll the dough if there is too much stuff in it. Also, it will be a mess if the filling starts to run.
- Don't forget to seal the edge after rolling the dough so it won't burst when cutting.
- Add a pinch of sugar to your pizza sauce to reduce acidity and make it even more kid-friendly.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 202Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 7mgSodium: 588mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 7g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.
Thursday 12th of May 2022
Step 13. You say 180 degrees, I am assuming that is Celsius ? What would that be in Fahrenheit?
Thursday 12th of May 2022
Hi Debbie, 180 degrees Celsius equals 350 degrees Fahrenheit.