Breaded zucchini sticks are quick, crispy and a delicious appetizer!
These zucchini sticks are a perfect side dish or snack that can be prepared in a few simple steps, and with simple ingredients that you often already have at home.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
There’s nothing more comforting and delicious than a dish like this – a healthier alternatives to the classic french fries.
An easy recipe that you will want to make over and over again.
These crispy breaded zucchini sticks have only one flaw – they finish quickly!
I chose medium-sized zucchini.
When choosing zucchini, we must keep in mind the following: color, conformation and consistency.
It’s an easy trick, but one that allows us to always buy the best zucchini:
- Color: it should be deep green and uniform, with no darker spots.
- The ends of the zucchini should be brownish or light green, but not dark brown (a sign that the vegetable is rotting).
- Conformation: zucchini should be of medium length. Some zucchini can be too large, although apparently interesting, have a too watery pulp and can therefore be bitter.
- Consistency: the turgidity of the zucchini is a reference parameter for the freshness of the product.
- To the touch it must be hard, but when cut it must yield without excessive force.
They will be used to create the egg mixture that is used to adhere the breadcrumbs to the zucchini sticks.
I used homemade breadcrumbs made from old bread, although supermarket breadcrumbs and panko breadcrumbs are also fine
I personally love the great flavor that parmesan cheese gives to these zucchini sticks. Parmesan cheese and zucchini are a perfect pair that work really well together.
I used classic salt and black pepper with the addition of parsley, but in this recipe you can indulge in combinations such as garlic powder and Italian seasoning are also a great combination.
How To Make Zucchini Sticks
Prepare all the ingredients. In a shallow bowl prepare the breadcrumbs with the Parmesan cheese and spices; in another small bowl beat the eggs.
Cut the ends of the zucchini halves vertically, then cut each half in the middle and from each half make two or three ½-inch sticks (depends on the size of the zucchini).
Bread the zucchini strips by first dipping them in egg and then in breadcrumb mixture, making sure the breadcrumbs stick well to the zucchini.
Cook the zucchini.
This recipe can be cooked 3 different ways by baking, air frying or frying in oil.
Below you will find all 3 cooking methods.
How Do You Cut Zucchini Sticks? (video)
Tips For Crispy Zucchini Sticks
- For a super crispy result, don’t use overly large zucchini; smaller ones contain less water and are better suited for this recipe.
- Cut the zucchini all the same size to ensure even cooking.
- For a perfect result make sure they are well dried before breading them. After cutting them into sticks, pat them dry with a bit of paper towel.
- To make the breadcrumbs adhere even better to the zucchini, you can dip the zucchini first in flour then in egg and breadcrumbs.
Make them gluten-free
Replace the flour and the breadcrumbs with a gluten-free product.
Vegan Zucchini stick
Prepare a batter with purpose flour and water, to the crumbs add nutritional yeast.
Then proceed as indicated in the recipe.
What To Serve With Zucchini Sticks
I love accompanying zucchini sticks with a Parsley Mayo Sauce. Making it is really easy.
To make it you need mayonnaise, a little lemon juice and zest, minced garlic and black pepper and chopped up parsley.
Mix everything together and this delicious sauce is ready.
Another alternative is to serve these delicious zucchini with a side of marinara sauce or ranch dressing.
There’s no need to peel zucchini.
In fact, the skin is a big source of zucchini nutrition, so you definitely want to leave the skin on.
After breading the zucchini sticks, place them in a baking dish well spaced, and place them in the freezer, let them freeze, and then you can tasfer them in a frezzer bag. You can cook them from frozen, as there is no need to defrost them.
Why is zucchini a Superfood?
Zucchini, besides being good vegetables, are also good for your health.
Thanks to their properties, their consumption brings considerable benefits to our body.
Zucchini is among the lowest calorie vegetables in existence.
Moreover, zucchini are an important source of vitamin C and vitamin B9, whereas they also contribute with good levels of vitamin B6 and vitamin K.
It also has a good intake of calcium, magnesium, phosphor and potassium.
Zucchini: Health Benefits
Zucchini are perfect in low-calorie diets and can be consumed in quantity.
Below are a few of their benefits!
- Diuretics and allies of the diet
- Benefits for the heart thanks to the abundance of water and potassium
- Counteracts urinary tract infections
- Super digestible
- Relaxing and conducive to sleep
- Benefits for the skin
- They are natural antacids for the stomach
Their versatility makes them suitable for different preparations, and today I used them to prepare this delicious recipe of breaded zucchini sticks.
Breaded Zucchini Sticks: How To Prepare Step By Step
CONNECT WITH THE BELLA VITA!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Breaded Zucchini Sticks - a delicious appetizer that is quick and easy to prepare!
- 3 Zucchini
- 2 Eggs
- 1 cup Breadcrums
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- A handful of parsley
- Salt & Pepper to flavor
- First, let's start by making the breadcrumbs. In a bowl, place the breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, chopped parsley, a pinch of salt and black pepper and combine the ingredients well with each other.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs.
- Set aside the eggs and the breadcrumbs and move on to the zucchini.
- First wash the zucchini and remove the two ends.
- Cut zucchini in half vertically, then cut each half down the middle and of each half will make two or three sticks, depending on how big the zucchini is. (See video below).
- Place the zucchini sticks in paper towels to remove any excess water.
Breading the zucchini sticks:
- Dip each stick first in the egg and then in the breadcrumb mix, pressing to make the breading stick well.
- Place the zucchini sticks in a tray, make sure they do not touch each other.
- Heat plenty of oil in a high-sided frying pan and fry the zucchini until golden brown.
- Place the zucchini sticks on a tray covered with paper towels and serve immediately.
Air Fryer Zucchini Sticks
Preheat the air fryer to 400 F degrees (200°C). Spray the air fryer basket with nonstick spray.
Arrange the zucchini fries in the basket in a single layer, making sure they aren’t touching.
Cook until golden brown and crispy, about 10 minutes. Turn them halfway through cooking.
Baked Zucchini Sticks
Place the breaded zucchini sticks in a baking dish with parchment paper making sure that they do not touch each other, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil or use a cooking spray
and bake in a preheated oven at 400 F degrees for about 15/20 minutes until golden brown.
Perfect cooking method If you have to make a big batch.
If you want a more consistent breadcrumb coating, you can dip the zucchini in the egg again and then again in the breadcrumbs.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 116Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 104mgSodium: 347mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 9g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.
How Store Breaded Zucchini Sticks
If you have leftover zucchini sticks, store them in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
Reheating: Heat them in an oven (370 F degrees for 5/6min) or in an air fryer (350 F degrees for 3/4 minutes).
Freezing: My advice is to freeze it uncooked for up to 3 months.
There is no need to defrost them for cooking.
Other favorite zucchini recipes: