Croquettes are a delicious appetizer that everyone will love.
These croquettes are really creamy and full of flavor.
Needless to say, once brought to the table, these crispy vegetable croquettes disappear in a flash.
With their golden breadcrumbs and soft filling, they have always conquered the palates of young and old alike!
These are delicious elongated bites, made with boiled potatoes, vegetables and bechamel, first breaded and then fried!
A unique and timeless delight!
Soft inside, covered with crispy breadcrumbs outside.
Croquettes: An Amazing Recipe With Vegetables
The classic croquettes are those with potatoes, but like any recipe, there are different versions.
The one I give you today is the recipe with the addition of zucchini, carrots and béchamel.
Tips To Make The Best Croquettes
- Choose only floury yellow potatoes.
- Chill the croquette mixture for at least two hours.
- Put a handful of breadcrumbs in the filling if you see that it is too liquid.
- Dip the potatoes first in flour and then in egg and breadcrumbs, it will help to compact them more.
- The temperature of the oil: hot (175 degrees Celsius ).
- Breaded Zucchini Sticks: A Delicious Appetizer That Everyone Will Love
- Eggplant Parmesan Recipe: Easy Classical Recipe
Serve With A Basil Mayonnaise
To accompany these croquettes, I prepared a delicious basil-scented mayonnaise.
Making it is super easy because I used ready-made mayonnaise.
To start, I blended some basil leaves with olive oil and half a garlic.
Then combined the mixture with the mayonnaise.
Storing Your Leftover
Croquettes should be eaten as soon as they are cooked, because otherwise they will lose their texture.
However, you can store them perfectly in the refrigerator, closed in an airtight container, for 4 days.
I recommend storing them raw in the fridge and then frying them at the moment.
Can I Freeze Croquettes?
You can freeze them raw, first in trays so they don’t stick together, then seal in plastic bags when they have solidified!
Can I cook Croquettes In The Oven?
If you want to avoid frying, it is good to know that these delicacies can also be cooked in a simple way by baking.
To prepare them in the oven, I recommend making a double layer of breadcrumbs in order for them to keep their shape while cooking and become even crispier.
Bake in a preheated oven at 200° for 10 minutes and then 5 minutes in grill mode.
Can I Put Croquettes In An Air Fryer?
Preheat the air fryer to 360°F or 180° C for a few minutes.
Place the croquettes in the basket, being careful not to place them one on top of the other.
Spray with extra virgin olive oil to make them crispy.
Cook for about 8-10 minutes or until golden.
To cook them in the Air Fryrer, I recommend making a double layer of breadcrumbs in order for them to keep their shape while cooking and become even crispier.
How Long Do Frozen Croquettes Last?
This recipe will keep frozen for up to 2 months.
Why Do They Fall Apart?
Probably because the mixture is too runny.
I made a firmer béchamel sauce for these croquettes than I usually do, and added mashed potatoes to create a base for this veggie croquettes.
Can You Cook From Frozen?
When you will fry them, dip them directly into the hot oil while still frozen: keep the temperature a little lower, about 150 °C, to obtain a perfect frying.
Croquettes with potatoes, zucchini and béchamel. A delicious appetizer you'll love. Find out how to make these croquettes.
- 1 Carrot
- 1 Onion
- 4 Zucchini
- 2 Medium sized potatoes
- 400ml of Béchamel sauce ( 1 3/4 cup )
- 300g of Breadcrumbs ( 2 cup )
- 3 Eggs
- 100g of White flour ( ½ cup + 2 tbsp )
- 2 Tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Oil for frying
To prepare the béchamel sauce:
- 50g White Flour ( ¼ cup + 1 tbsp )
- 50g Butter
- 500ml of Milk
- First of all, start by boiling the potatoes in salted water until soft.
- Meanwhile, dice onions, carrots and zucchini.
- In a nonstick skillet, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and start a small sauté with the onions and carrots for about 3 minutes.
- At this point add the zucchini.
- Salt and pepper the vegetables to taste.
- Cook the vegetables for about 7/8 minutes over medium heat.
- In a saucepan put the butter and let it melt, over low heat so as not to risk burning it.
- When the butter melts completely, add the previously sieved flour to the butter and mix well and quickly with a whisk, to form an even mixture.
- Dilute the butter and flour mixture with the previously heated milk, adding it in a trickle and stirring constantly so it does not create any lumps.
- Continue stirring until the béchamel thickens.
- Salt and pepper the béchamel to taste, if you like you can also add a little nutmeg.
Prepare the béchamel sauce:
You can also make the béchamel in the microwave. Here I explain how:
Prepare the croquette mixture:
- Mash the potatoes that we have previously boiled with a fork.
- Combine the potatoes with the vegetables and bechamel and mix well.
- Let the mixture rest in the refrigerator for about 2 hours.
- Prepare three bowls: one with the beaten egg, one with the flour, and one with the breadcrumbs.
- With wet hands form the croquettes, or you can form the croquettes with the help of two spoons.
- Then proceed to the breadcrumbs phase. The croquette is first dipped in flour, then in egg and finally in breadcrumbs.
- Continue like this until the croquette mixture is finished.
- Let the croquettes rest in the frezzer for 10 minutes before frying.
- Fry the croquettes, a few at a time, in plenty of frying oil at a temperature of 175 °C.
- Once they are golden brown on all sides, drain them on absorbent paper to dry the excess oil.
Salt the croquettes on top and serve!
Make the croquette:
Cook the croquette: (Cooking instructions for air fryer and oven below)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 671Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 139mgSodium: 631mgCarbohydrates: 83gFiber: 6gSugar: 15gProtein: 21g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.