Portobello mushroom fries air fryer recipe, a super delicious and easy mushroom recipe.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
The delicate flavor and firm, meaty texture makes this variety of mushroom particularly versatile and suitable for preparing a variety of recipes.
Before any preparation, they must be cleaned thoroughly: to do so, you must remove the stalks with a knife, then gently rub them with a clean cloth to remove soil residue and impurities.
Ingredients For Portobello Mushroom Fries: Air Fryer Recipe
These are the main ingredients you need.
For the step-by-step directions and measurements, scroll down to our printable recipe card.
- Larger portobello mushrooms: To make portobello fries you need large portobello mushrooms.
Portobello mushrooms are a more proteinaceous variety of the quintessential Champignons mushroom: their scientific name is Agaricus bisporus and they are considered the largest domestic mushrooms, with a very large cap that can reach up to 15 cm in diameter.
- All purpose flour & water: We will need them to create the batter that keeps the breadcrumbs attached to the mushrooms.
- Spices: You can use whatever spices you like for the preparation of this recipe.
I used salt, black pepper, garlic powder and Italian seasoning.
- Plain bread crumbs or panko bread crumbs: The ingredient that will make this air fryer portobello mushrooms super crispy.
How To Cook – Step Instructions
- Clean mushrooms: Cleaning Portobello mushrooms is really simple, the only caution is to treat them gently because they tend to darken easily.
First remove the stem with the help of a knife.
Using a spoon, gently remove the dark gills from the underside of the mushroom.
Remove soil residue from the rest of the mushroom by cleaning it thoroughly and gently with a damp cloth or a piece of kitchen paper moistened with water; be careful not to put the mushrooms under running water.
- Cut mushrooms: With a well-sharpened knife, gently slice the mushroom.
Taking care to make and slice all the same thickness, to get a more even cooking.
- Remove excess water from mushrooms: To ensure a super crispy result, I recommend removing excess water from mushrooms.
Cover the cut mushrooms with a napkin and cover them with a baking tray.
- Prep The Breading Station: In a bowl, pour the flour and cold water and mix with a whisk until the batter is smooth.
In another bowl put the breadcrumbs with the spices and mix.
- Preheat air fryer: This is done to ensure a more even cooking.
- Bread the mushrooms: Using kitchen tongs, pass the mushroom slices first in the batter and then in the breadcrumbs, making sure to cover the entire surface of the mushrooms.
- Cook the mushrooms: Place the breaded mushrooms in the air fryer basket, in a single layer.
Spray a little olive oil on top and cook for about 5 minutes.
Turn them over and let them cook for another 5 minutes.
Tips For The Best Results
- Do not wash mushrooms under running water: wipe with a wet cloth.
- Before breading them, remove the excess water: for a unique crispness I recommend removing the excess water from the mushrooms. Place a dry cloth over the mushrooms you have already cut, and press them with a baking sheet.
- Preheat the air fryer: I always say, it is a good thing to preheat the air fryer, this serves for more even cooking of the food.
- Use a cooking spray for the oil.
How To Serve
These air fryer mushrooms make a perfect side dish that all mushroom lovers will love, but they are also make a great appetizer.
I love to accompany them with these crispy chicken cutlets, breaded pork chops or this baked chicken kabobs in the oven.
If you want to make them for an appetizer instead serve them along with these homemade coktails.
You will amaze your guests!
This air fryer portobello fries are a great addition to a portobello burger.
Favorite Dipping Sauce
You can serve them with the sauce you like best; it’s a personal preference.
I love to serve them with pink sauce. To make it just mix in a small bowl mayonnaise with Worcestershire sauce, a little ketchup sauce, brandy and tabasco if you want to make it spicy.
How To Store Leftovers:
Store: For best results, store mushrooms in the refrigerator in an airtight container. For up to 2 days.
Freeze: My advice is to freeze them breaded and uncooked.
Place them in a baking dish, being careful and not to let them stick.
Let them harden in the freezer for a couple of hours and then you can transfer them to a freezer bag.
Cook them then when frozen, just extend the cooking time by a couple of minutes.
Reheat: To reheat them you can do it directly in air fryer for 3/4 minute at 375 F.
Do not wash them under running water and instead clean them well with a damp paper towel. Remove the “gills,” the lower part of the cap of portobello mushroom caps, to reduce extra liquid during cooking.
The portobello mushroom gills are edible, but for the success of this recipe I recommend you remove them.
Washing the mushroom in water is strongly discouraged because, as it behaves like a sponge, it tends to fill with water.
CONNECT WITH THE BELLA VITA!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Easy Portobello Mushroom Fries Made in the Air Fryer
Golden brown fries of portobello mushrooms. A great option to regular french fries. An easy recipe you'll love!
- 2 large Mushrooms ( portobello)
- 1 and 1/2 cup of White flour
- 1 cup Water
- Salt, black pepper, garlic powder and Italian seasoning to taste.
- Oil spray ( olive oil or avocado oil)
- 1 cup Regular or panko breadcrumbs
- Cleaning the mushrooms. Remove the stem of the mushroom by helping yourself with a knife.
- Gently remove the gills of the mushrooms with a teaspoon. With a damp towel clean the whole mushrooms properly.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the mushrooms into strips.
- Place them on a flat surface and cover with a dry cloth, cover them with a baking sheet and press lightly, this helps remove excess water.
- Prepare the breading station. In a small bowl put the flour and slowly add the water and mix well with a kitchen whisk to create the batter. In a separate bowl put the breadcrumbs, the spices and mix well.
- Pass the striped mushrooms first in the batter and then in the breadcrumbs, making sure to cover the entire mushroom surface with breadcrumbs.
- Preheat the air fryer for 2 minutes at 365°F (185°C).
- Place the mushrooms in the basket of the air fryer, being careful not to overlap them, and then drizzle or spray a little oil on top.
- Cook for 5 minutes at 365°F.
- Turn them over and spray some more oil and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Crispy breaded mushrooms are ready, serve with sprinkle of salt and your favorite sauce.
NOTE: Cooking may vary by type of air fryer. Always check during cooking.
Don't have an air fryer? Make them in the oven!
Place the mushroom fries in a baking dish covered with baking paper and spray a little oil on top. Cook them at 375°F (190°C) for 18 minutes, turning them halfway through cooking for a unique crispness.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 408Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 694mgCarbohydrates: 67gFiber: 5gSugar: 4gProtein: 11g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.
How To Customize This Recipe
Make keto mushroom portobello chips.
To prepare the keto version, substitute regular flour with one of these flours: Almond, Coconut, or Chickpea Flour.
Instead of breadcrumbs, you can use crushed nuts or Keto bread crumbs instead.
Also try this version with white button mushrooms, the procedure is different and so are the ingredients.
In this version we use egg wash and parmesan cheese.
Let me know in the comment which one you prefer.
More air fryer recipes here!