This Creamy Chicken and Broccoli Pasta recipe is a quick and easy weeknight meal that the whole family will love!
Tender chicken, fresh broccoli, and pasta are simmered in a creamy garlic cheese sauce for an irresistible dish.
Serve with a side of crusty bread for mopping up all that delicious sauce or after a delicious bruschetta starter!
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Creamy Chicken and Broccoli Pasta Ingredients
There are so many different types of pasta to choose from, but for this recipe, I recommend using shorter pasta like rigatoni or penne.
Both of these shapes hold up well to the sauce and chicken, and they’re easy for little ones to eat.
If you’re looking for a healthier option, you can use whole wheat pasta or a vegetable-based pasta like zucchini noodles.
Chicken is a great source of lean protein, and it pairs well with so many different flavors.
For this recipe, we recommend using boneless, skinless chicken breasts. They’re easy to cook and provide a good amount of protein.
If you don’t have chicken on hand, you can also use shrimp or tofu. Just be sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
Shallots are a type of onion that have a sweeter, more delicate flavor than their counterparts.
They’re often used in French cooking, and they’re the perfect addition to this recipe.
If you don’t have shallots on hand, you can substitute with a small onion or even green onions.
For this recipe, I recommend using fresh garlic.
It has a much stronger flavor than garlic powder or jarred garlic, and it really makes a difference in the taste of the dish. If you don’t have fresh garlic, you can use ¼ teaspoon of garlic powder instead.
Cheddar cheese provides a sharp, tangy flavor to this dish. If you’re looking for a lighter option, you can use half cheddar and half mozzarella cheese.
Broccoli brings some bright green color to this dish.
For this recipe, I recommend using fresh or frozen broccoli (just make sure to thaw frozen broccoli before adding).
You could substitute the broccoli with cauliflower or zucchini.
For this recipe, I recommend using a combination of salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. This gives the dish a nice flavor without being too overpowering.
How To Make This Creamy Chicken and Broccoli Pasta Recipe
Start by cooking the pasta according to the package instructions.
While the pasta is cooking, season the chicken breasts with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning.
In a large nonstick skillet, drizzle some oil over medium heat and cook the chicken until it’s cooked through and no longer pink in the center.
Remove from the skillet and set aside.
To the same skillet, add the shallots and garlic.
Cook until they’re softened, then add in the broccoli and chicken broth. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook for 3-5 minutes, or until the broccoli is tender.
Add the cooked pasta and chicken to the skillet and toss with the sauce.
Add in the cheddar and parmesan cheese, and season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
Serve warm and enjoy!
Add More Veggies
- You could add more veggies to this recipe if you’d like.
Some great options include diced tomatoes, spinach, mushrooms, or bell peppers. Just be sure to cook them long enough so they’re softened before adding the pasta to the skillet.
Make It Spicy
- If you like a little spice in your life, you could add some crushed red pepper flakes to the recipe.
You could also swap out the Italian seasoning for a spicier blend, like Cajun seasoning. Just be sure to adjust the amount of seasoning you use to taste.
Swap the Protein
- If you’re not a fan of chicken, you could swap it out for shrimp, ground beef, or tofu.
Just be sure to cook the protein until it’s cooked through before adding the pasta to the skillet.
To prepare the vegetarian version of this pasta, check out this recipe for pasta with broccoli. We have a trick to make it even creamier.
Also try the broccoli pasta bake version.
How To Store & Meal Prep:
This recipe can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
To meal prep, cook the pasta and chicken ahead of time. When you’re ready to eat, simply reheat the pasta and chicken in a skillet with the sauce and veggies.
Add some extra cheese on top, and you’re good to go!
Macro Breakdown & Calories
Carbohydrates: 43 g
Protein: 45 g
Fat: 16 g
Easy Chicken Broccoli Pasta Recipe
CONNECT WITH THE BELLA VITA!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
This creamy chicken and broccoli pasta is the best! It's so filling, and the flavors are just perfect. Plus, it's super easy to make.
- 1 pound of pasta
- 1 pound chicken breasts, diced
- 1-2 shallots
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 cup of cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup of grated parmesan cheese
- 1 head of broccoli
- ¾ cup of chicken broth
- Salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning to taste
- Cook the pasta according to the package instructions.
- While the pasta is cooking, season the chicken breasts with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning.
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook the chicken until it’s cooked through and no longer pink in the center. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- To the same skillet, add the shallots and garlic.
- Cook until they’re softened, then add in the broccoli and chicken broth. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook for 3-5 minutes, or until the broccoli is tender.
- Combine the cooked pasta, chicken, and broccoli and toss. Add in the cheddar and parmesan cheese, and season with additional salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm and enjoy!
- When you add the cheese, if the pasta is too dry, add a tiny bit of cooking water.
- Always salt the pasta of the water when it starts to boil and not before. If you put salt in first it will take longer to boil.
- If you prefer your broccoli super soft, I recommend cooking it with the pasta.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 491Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 133mgSodium: 764mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 7gSugar: 4gProtein: 45g
Nutrition is automatically calculated by Nutritionix - please verify all nutrition information independently and consult with a doctor or nutritionist for any and all medical and diet advice.