Spaghetti with zucchini is a tasty and easy to make first course, that everyone loves!
The ingredients you need are few and simple.
It is among the first courses with zucchini that I love the most. Easy to prepare and with a really unique taste.
This is a very simple Sicilian variant.
A perfect recipe for a family lunch, served simply with a sprinkling of grated cheese.
The original Sicilian recipe for spaghetti with zucchini is really easy!
All you have to do is fry the zucchini into rounds and mix them with the pasta once it is cooked.
Over time, I have slightly modified the recipe inspired by Spaghetti alla Nerano.
I have added a light sauté – garlic, chilli and basil and a light mantecatura with grated cheese which makes this dish deliciously creamy…a real treat!
Spaghetti With Zucchini: The Easy Sicilian Recipe
- Pasta Recipe With Fresh Tomatoes: A Quick And Tasty Meal
- Spaghetti With Clams Recipe: A Tasty Italian Pasta Dish
- 2 Medium-sized zucchini
- 4 Garlic cloves
- 400g of Spaghetti
- Chilli flakes
- 5 Basil leaves
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Parmesan cheese
- Salt to taste
- Clean the zucchini by removing the ends. Wash them and cut them into rounds about half an inch thick.
- In a high-sided frying pan put the extra virgin olive oil and add the garlic, let the oil and garlic flavor for about 2 minutes.
- Then lightly salt the zucchini and fry them in extra-virgin olive oil.
- Be careful not to brown them excessively: when they are cooked, place them in a bowl.
- Boil the water to cook the pasta. In the meantime, peel the garlic (2), remove the soul and cut it into rounds.
- Pour a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil in a pan and add the minced garlic, chili pepper and 2 basil leaves.
- Fry them for a few minutes, then lower the heat to low and let them cook for a few minutes. Turn off the flame and let it rest.
- When the water for the pasta is boiling, add the salt and pour in the spaghetti.
- Drain them al dente and place them in the pan with the oil, garlic and chili pepper.
- Add the fried zucchini kept aside and a handful of chopped fresh basil.
- Add a cup of pasta water, and toss with parmesan cheese abd sauté over high heat for a few minutes.
- Serve pasta with fried zucchini on hot table with grated parmesan cheese.
For our recipe we have chosen spaghetti but you can also use short pasta or the format you prefer. You can also flavor the dish with some mint instead of basil.
How To Store Pasta With Zucchini
It is advisable to consume pasta with fried zucchini immediately after preparation.
If it should be left over, you can store it in the refrigerator for 1 day, inside a special airtight container.
We recommend heating it in a pan with a little olive oil.
Which Zucchini Are Suitable For This Recipe
- Black Beauty
The most common in supermarkets, the evergreen in our refrigerator, the favorite in the kitchen for its extreme versatility.
We all know the Black Beauty very well and we have all tasted it at least once.
Dark green in color and cylindrical in shape, it is particularly tender and can be eaten raw or cooked.
Delicate and feminine: the Magda stands out for its round, full and firm shape.
Its fruit is pulpy and light green in color, beautiful for vegetable soups and creams, but also as an accompaniment to pasta.
Variants of Pasta with Zucchini
Pasta with zucchini and shrimps
In the kitchen they make an infallible couple.
Shrimp and zucchini.
Remember that a pasta with zucchini and shrimp will always please everyone.
The sauce, in fact, will be enriched by the presence of shrimp, blanched in the pan with zucchini.
If you have decided to fry the zucchini, they will be added to the pan with extra virgin olive oil and a clove of garlic when the shrimp are almost ready.
Finish the preparation with finely chopped parsley and lemon zest.
Pasta with zucchini and pancetta
The addition of bacon will give a very flavorful note.
Proceed with frying the zucchini and separately brown the pancetta in a non-stick pan.
Once crispy, you can add it to the pasta with zucchini, which you will have fried in a pan with a little oil.
Pasta with zucchini and tuna
Pair the fried zucchini with tuna when you stir-fry the pasta.
It will not be the classic Sicilian version, but it will be just as tasty and delicious.